Author Topic: RM370a Gear change shaft  (Read 2071 times)

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
RM370a Gear change shaft
« on: September 09, 2008, 06:04:52 pm »
Just a question for all you Suzuki types.  A friend is restoring one of my favourite VMX'rs, a RM370A, and has been told gear change shafts are like hens teeth to find.  How true is that, will he have to sell his first born child, or is there out there a supplier for that type of product?

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: RM370a Gear change shaft
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:59:41 pm »
it is usually the spine that is flogged out,I have cut the worn spline off and welded a donor spline from a better shaft on to it .I join it where the shaft is inside the motor so the seal runs on a fresh surface.
I am only a mug electric arc welder and have had no failures using this method.

One suzuki repair caused hassles when I used a honda spline and the next owner could not buy a fine spline suzuki gearlever ;D

Doc

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:28:08 pm »
Gorby, there's nothing wrong with cutting and shutting gear shafts. So long as the area welded is vee'd to give a nice wide bead of weld then it's perfectly good. I'd reckon a person would be best advised to keep away from bikes if their left foot is so heavy it breaks a welded selector shaft :D Another shaft I have saved and which is still in use today was the sprocket shaft on my RM400. The nut and thread flogged out after a few years and since I didn't have the funds at the time to buy a new shaft I sacrificed a few drill bits and drilled up the guts of the shaft through the case hardening. I then simply cut an 8mm thread inside the shaft, found an appropriate spacer and a HT 8mm bolt and refitted the sprocket. I was going to fix this asap but 20ish years after the fact this repair remains and has never given me the slightest trouble, it's never come loose nor does it need locking agents or washers to hold it in place, once tight it stays tight. The way I figured was the shaft was rooted yes but welding any sprocket to any motor regardless of how rooted is just pure insanity and a no no. I had also thought of cutting a circlip groove and in hindsight this would have worked also and probably have been less work ;)   
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:33:38 pm by Doc »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 02:06:35 pm »
have you got a pic off the shaft
stackers make new shafts for maicos includeing kick starter shafts and gear selector shafts, just a thought

Offline Tankslapper

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Hydrosteer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 03:14:05 pm »
just bought a shaft for my RM250A, NOS from Mick Hone Suzuki in Box Hill, Victoria. $117.00

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 08:58:20 pm »
You can still get new gear change shafts for RM250A,B,C,C2 from Suzuki Aust for about $110.00. I enquired a month or so ago and they had them ex stock Melbourne. The updated part number is #25510-41X00. The A shaft had been updated to the same length as the B, C and C2 (about 3mm longer).
I'm not sure if this shaft will fit the RM370 as they do have a different part numbers, but it may be just a small difference like length or the clutch cover end where the spacer and plug fit. The 250 shaft may be easily modified to suit.
Worth checking out.
Anyone know the difference?

Doc

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 07:05:41 am »
Been doing a little research over the weekend and, although I don't have an RM or PE250 shaft onhand for an actual physical comparo, so far as I can tell I'd be near inclined to say the RM400C/RM250A/B/C/C2 and PE250B/C/N selector shaft are pretty much the same parts. The number is 25510-41X00 for the PE and still available as stated but for the 370 the genuine number is 25510-41X01 (not available). For my way of thinking and previous experience these are the same parts although not listed anywhere as a substitute ;)