Author Topic: Finke 2017  (Read 5344 times)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
Finke 2017
« on: June 14, 2017, 08:58:18 am »
I went up to Alice Springs over the long weekend to spectate at the 2017 Finke Desert Race.

On the Friday morning while having a look around the Start / Finish area, this guy drove into the car park, and I had a quick chat;

Gareth Hamill from Sydney.

I camped with some mates down the Maryvale Rd around the 31km point on the course, and I took this picture;

as Gareth rode past on the Sunday morning heading down to Finke.

Sadly. when I checked the results Sunday night, Gareth was listed as a DNF.

Gareth, are you on the forum?

What happened mate? it would be great to hear your story.
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Finke 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:15:40 am »
Me too,, what a legend
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 12:48:11 pm »
Nathan Stephenson from Qld finished in 432nd place on a YZ490. Well done that man!

Credit also to Miles Davis who finished at 441st on a BMW R1200GS Rally.

South Australian Craig Rowntree made it to Finke on a DT200 but was out of time, and so didn't complete the race. He's had a few attempts on the DT, I don't know if he's ever succeeded.

Tex

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 02:03:38 pm »
Nathan Stephenson from Qld finished in 432nd place on a YZ490. Well done that man!

Credit also to Miles Davis who finished at 441st on a BMW R1200GS Rally.

South Australian Craig Rowntree made it to Finke on a DT200 but was out of time, and so didn't complete the race. He's had a few attempts on the DT, I don't know if he's ever succeeded.

Tex

I can't recall seeing Nathan go by on the YZ490 in either direction, we gave Miles on the BMW a big cheer as he passed.

Miles on the BMW at the 31km mark bound for Finke.
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 07:31:13 pm »
that green bonnet inter turned up at the last putty vinduro,don't remember the guys much,the yellow yz,& inter  made an impression on me but :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 09:33:17 pm »
see him all the time dirt track racer as well top bloke
ps only the drivers door works on the inter

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 09:23:17 am »
what happened to "gibbets" on the forum?? or is that Nathan on the 490??

Offline davidh

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 08:44:11 pm »
#theforlorn #1980yamahayz465g #brokenfrets #backnextyear #finkefastthoughts #therecap So, the bike seized at the 155k mark. It had been running rough the whole way and started leaning out around the hundred mark. I'd taken it easy for the first 80, until the first fuel stop at Deep Well. The track opened up a bit there and suited me more so I got cracking through that section and had a pretty good rhythm going, short shifting to try and make the motor last. I was coming up behind a bloke, 505, on an open straight and he crashed in front of me. It was a big one. By the time I'd stopped my bike, turned the fuel off, lay it down and run over to where he was lying it was probably 40 or 50 seconds. His goggles had flown off and I could see his face and he was still sleeping. Out cold. He came to and I waited with him and another rider was warning all the other bikes. Then spectators came and helped and we got him up and he went off in a car for help. I hope he's ok. So, then the bike just wouldn't start. Isaac passed me and gave me a yell. That was a cool moment. The spectators pushed me and got it going and I was back in the ballgame. Running rough still though. Reached the next fuel stop, filled the tank and it wouldn't start. Tried push starting and no go. I flagged down a passing 4wd and got them to tow start me. It fired up, I dropped the rope and got cracking along the track again. Still short shifting. Riding the woops and setting a respectable pace. Two blokes in a 4wd were ghosting me as the track is really close to the road. I passed the rodinga checkpoint and at the end of the straight it seized. The 4wd blokes stopped to help, said they'd been loving the show. The motor cooled and freed up. I wound the mixture screw richer to try and help and the blokes tow started me with the car. I dropped the rope and got along the track. I knew it wouldn't last but there was nothing for it. It was all woops now. Deep and sandy. I just kept sending it and after another 15k or so the revs slowed and the stopped. #thatsallshewrote #backnextyear . Scruffs story not mine but I don't think he'd mind it being shared here . Cheers Dave

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 07:51:23 am »
Good luck next year Dave, what an effort, just making it there is winning really.