Author Topic: Wheel Building Jig  (Read 4338 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Wheel Building Jig
« on: August 31, 2007, 02:49:50 pm »
In the May 07 edition of the pommy mag "Model Engineer's Workshop" Dave Fenner gives a VERY easy,quick and accurate method of building a jig to take the guesswork from wheel building.
Should correct axial and lateral run out in short time, could easily be adapted to any diameter wheel.
2 thumbs up ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel Building Jig
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 03:48:12 pm »
so ....................post it up ! ::)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 05:05:52 pm »
The idea is Freaky you go and buy the mag,then you build the jig ::)
Anyways that's a copyright issue to..............

YSS

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 10:15:13 pm »
Hi Lozza , I have built two jigs  a couple of years ago , its reasnable simple .
We used a Ford rear axle as a turn table ,made a big steelplate with tree arms and used a lathe juck to hold the rim in place , the middle has a spiget to hold the hub and you can centre the hub with the rim, then all you have to do is , feed the spokes in and tighten them up . One wheel takes about 10 - 15 minutes. You even can drill the rims if you have to , to line up with the hub.  Easy , anyone can do do a wheel with that.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 10:46:14 pm »
The idea is Freaky you go and buy the mag,then you build the jig ::)
Anyways that's a copyright issue to..............

NA the idea is you build one and then sell them for what $20 including postage ?  come lozza get with the program.

ps... we race in 2 weeks - do i have any shocks that work or should i be getting very very afraid and make a stand by pair out of rubber bands, a plastic comb and 2 rubber ducks ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 10:48:21 pm »
Pokey spesh.
 can pick the frame up at any junkyard . rip the plastic chair off the top  cut and reweld the  frame a bit slimmer  so you dont need ten feet of thread bar for the axles  , a few nuts welded to the frame and  manufactur a few cones to hold the wheel stable. I used  PVC tupe and shrunk it to the thread bar and it works a charm. a simple adjustable arm with pointer  measures run out and wobble .. too easy and cost me  maybe $5 max.
 Grab another chair fraim while your there, they make top bike stands.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 09:47:58 am »
Actually Walter that is pretty close to this one except it has 3 little arms that can be locked in place for the diameter.The arms have threaded rod attached with a bobbin on the rod.So the offset is maintained on the jig also.I could see how you could easily drill a rim for the later bigger nipples on this to.The author said the rim came out of the jig with 0.015" run out. Then just a quick run round to tighten then all.Yes a 15min operation.

We see what we can do Freaky ;D

YSS

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 10:26:07 am »
Maybe we are talking about the same thing . I sold one to Link and the other to a wheelbuilder in Vic.
Like you said .1mm is no problem and you can do the job in no time. The other good thing is ,you can detect if the rim is not correctly drilled.

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 10:49:55 pm »
rescued an old swingarm from the local recycle shop for $2
wasn't real sure what I would do with it but it was too good to scrap.
I ended up using it for a wheel balancer and rim truer