Author Topic: Leak Down Tester  (Read 5109 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Leak Down Tester
« on: March 24, 2017, 08:25:29 pm »

Going to make a leak down tester and looking for a design that works and is cheap to make.  Anyone made one and willing to draw a mud map.  Biggest problem seems to be finding a low pressure guage at a reasonable price, something that would be easy to see any loss of pressure.
                                                 Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Gday

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Leak Down Tester
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:06:41 pm »
I bought a blood pressure thing that you wrap around your arm for $20 ( new) and used the gauge pump and hoses. Worked great .

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 08:16:35 am »
check out cafĂ© husky, lots of stuff on leak down testing there...big thing with huskys apparently  ::)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 09:17:45 am »
I bought a blood pressure thing that you wrap around your arm for $20 ( new) and used the gauge pump and hoses. Worked great .

very clever !
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 09:55:36 am »

Going to make a leak down tester and looking for a design that works and is cheap to make.  Anyone made one and willing to draw a mud map.  Biggest problem seems to be finding a low pressure guage at a reasonable price, something that would be easy to see any loss of pressure.
                                                 Zane

Are you looking for a 4 stroke leak down tester or something to check a 2 stroke crankcase?

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 12:34:38 pm »

I want it for 2 stroke motors.  I can buy a Go Kart pop off gauge which includes a pump for about $60 which can be converted into a leak down tester easily but I think I would rather make my own.   

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 01:02:59 pm »
You could buy something like this.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Fuel-Pump-Vacuum-Tester-Gauge-Leak-Carburetor-Pressure-Diagnostics-with-Case-/401206459158?hash=item5d69c4bb16:g:LUsAAOSwLF1X~1Xf
Just got to make some adapters and add a tyre valve and your in business.

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 01:28:28 pm »
I used airline fittings on mine. Blood pressure jobbie for the pump, whack in a gauge, hand vacuum pump with gauge and an airline fitting, made up a spark plug adapter with a sealing o ring.

Couple of rubber crutch tips for the manifold and exhaust, bit of vaseline and all good.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 08:02:20 pm »
 Lots of good choices to experiment with!

maybe try standing on your hands whilst taking a pee,  that should go with the rubber crotch and vaseline thingo I think...
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 08:38:27 pm »
  Picked up a Rubber pump bulb for $2 (similar to blood pressure tester) also a 15 psi low pressure gauge for $4. My local bike shop has a air delivery hose screw on type for $4. So with a bit of hose and a small brass tee that I already have I can make it for around $10.
                           Zane

Offline Daryl Jones

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Old Bike World
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 10:50:12 pm »
I bought one, like this, for a really, really, good price. (gotta love an on-line Auction)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Leak-Down-Engine-Cylinder-Head-Leakage-Detector-Tester-Tool-Kit-Car-Truck-Auto-/131647121913?hash=item1ea6c7a9f9:g:OOsAAOSwzgBY0cAK

Idea is to block the outlet (create 'zero leak') then set the testing pressure with the regulator, (therefore a constant test pressure).

Connected to a cylinder, (2 or 4T) you read the leak rate on the second gauge as a percentage pressure loss.

2T's Loss from rings or head or plug seal with piston rings above exhaust or wherever with inlet & exhaust blocked.
4T's you can listen at the exhaust and inlet ports, for leakage from valves.

Best as a comparison test, against a known good (new parts & bedded in) assembly, than an absolute reading.
Use to monitor wearing in & then wearing out.

One TRAP for Young(ish) players with the Chinese kits.  The hose must be the same one they use for the Compression Tester Kit.
It has a Schroeder valve at the bottom.......No leaks are detectable with this valve in place.

I also replaced the air fittings with Nittos (personal preference).

Cheers, Daryl.
Life's too short not to try to do Everything.

"First they tell you you're wrong, and they can prove it.
Then they tell you you're right, but it's not important.
Then they tell you it is important, but they knew it all along."
Charles Kettering.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 08:03:33 pm »
I put some pictures of the one I made on CafeHusky.

The low pressure pump I already had. Not that expensive from Ebay. I bought this to put air in the old KLX forks.
The rubber cap came from a fish tank shop, I use this to seal the exhaust manifold. I turned up a piece of scrap alloy bar to mimic the end of a Mikuni carb. It has a small hole through the middle. The outer end is drilled 1/8 NPT to accept a low pressure gauge (cheap on ebay). Another hole is drilled at 90 degrees and again tapped 1/8 NPT for a Scrader valve (similar to one in Ohlins shocks) from ebay. The whole thing (less the hand pump) cost less than $40 (AUS).
I mainly built this to check the seals on the main beraings and the reed housing.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:10:54 pm by grouty »
Thumpers Rule !

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 08:01:51 pm »
 finished it today but didn't use the rubber bulb as planned.  A mate dropped in an old foot type pump, so I changed the gauge on it from a 100 psi to a 15 psi so it's now a lot easier to see if I have a leak (5 psi takes up a third of the gauge).  I have a fitting on the valve end of the hose which actually screws onto the valve and uses a screw on the back to hold the valve open.,  So even though I didn't use all of the bits I purchased it still came in at under $10.
                                                                                                                                 Zane

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 08:17:28 pm »
cool work