Author Topic: Clutch cover oil drip  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Terrapista

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Clutch cover oil drip
« on: April 14, 2017, 04:07:06 pm »
I have tried everything to stop this minimal oil drip. I notice it comes from a bolt location thru the gasket between the clutch case and cover. Is there such a thing where you can infill the thread so the bolt can seal and case, cover and gasket are flush. I have already cleaned and run a blade on case and cover to ensure they are smooth.
Thanks for a leg up on this one.

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch cover oil drip
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 07:15:59 pm »
New gasket? A good greased or oiled gasket on a flat surface should do the job.

Don't be tempted to keep tightening the bolt

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 07:17:07 pm »
Unless the bolt has broken through a blind hole inside the case?

Offline Terrapista

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 06:34:45 am »
I have placed new gasket, used jb weld on the hole location sanded down to flush on the case and also tried with another clutch cover with clymers torque values. Also used tiny amount of threebond on gasket so it wouldnt move when placing cover on as i wrecked a new one at this bolt. Will pull apart again to make sure this is not happening again and cause of leak.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 03:36:28 pm »

Its amazing how oil can seep along a surface and appear to be leaking where a drips then form and collect.

Try simply putting a soft copper or soft aluminium washer under the head of the screw first.

"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 04:06:06 pm »
And I'd try to avoid sealants (threebond) on your paper clutch cover gaskets. A smear of grease will hold them in place and if you grease both sides they should swell a little and seal better

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 06:48:32 pm »
And I'd try to avoid sealants (threebond) on your paper clutch cover gaskets. A smear of grease will hold them in place and if you grease both sides they should swell a little and seal better

I am with you there Paulos,,,,covers are called "Covers" for a reason,,,"Quickly removed whilst engine still in the bike for servicing,,,I totally loathe  crap like Z bond on frequent "Non Total Overhaul areas",,,,may as well weld your counter sprocket on  ::) ::) ::) ::)
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Terrapista

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 07:57:27 pm »
Yep. I will clean up again and smear gasket with grease. And will place washer on offending bolt. Lesson learnt.
Thanks people.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 11:04:11 am »
If the washer doesn't work try a dab of Stag on the bolt thread which will stop the oil working its way down the thread.