Author Topic: Refininishing front forks and ally swingarms and wheel rims ???  (Read 6946 times)

YSS

Re: Refininishing front forks and ally swingarms and wheel rims ???
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 07:01:57 pm »
Give me the size you need and I will ask tomorrow. When Les at Mainly Maico gets his new wheelbuilding maschine , he will cater fully for that market with spokes and rims. When I used to build wheels , we got the mudcatchers  from the Netherlands , but I will let you know.

oldfart

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 07:31:37 pm »
Walter    @ around $200 each plus  they are not cheap , then there is the issue with spoke angles and nipple size
Links use the same anodizer as I use . Even got me front fork tubes plated

Easy as  - Remove the Fork tube bush - soda blast em ( home made blast cabinet )- let them soak in his bath over night , bring them home and polish up till I was happy with (- Had  them Anodised  gold the same colour  as me rims  :) :)

polishing  Hints -     compound            wheel          

Brown 1st            Sizal          course
                              Grey   2nd           Stitch         Fine
                              Green 3rd            Swan down
                              White 4th            Swan down
Remember if your are using the same wheel and different compounds ...... clean the wheel with and old file to remove compound .

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 07:47:28 pm »
yes those mud catcher akronts etc are bare but i believe they would be a different grade alloy to OEM takasago and would be more corrosion resistant. i was mainly refering to rims whish were originally annodized. I would not leave a rim which was originally annodized bare. if Japan thought their DID/takasago rims could handle corroision they wouldnt of annodized, so i think the factory knows best and my preference would be to re-annodize. its ok to keep them polished on the outside and i agrree with you there but you would still get corrion issues under the rim tape unless you regularly remove the tyre and rim tape and polish under their too? thats just my prefferences and opinion and everyone can make their own choice though. Looks can be decieving as ive seen rims real good on the side and then when you take the tyre off there corosion several mm deep so i dont recommend to buy a used wheel with a tyre still on it.:)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:58:02 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 11:36:31 pm »
Just a quick note: remove anodizing in 5 minutes with oven cleaner - spray on, wait 4 minutes (give small wipe with clean rag in small spot to test dissolved anodizing after 3 minutes) - wipe off the whole lot with a plastic potscrubber or coarse cloth rag - wash thoproughly with water and soap or detergent.

THEN start your sanding and polishing....
Joe near Bendigo
SL175, SL70, XL250S, CT110 collecting bits....