Author Topic: Perk up there.....  (Read 3633 times)

mx250

Perk up there.....
« on: November 14, 2008, 05:32:32 pm »
Things in the Americana part of the forum are not in recession but rather deep depression. So I thought I would perk 'uall up ;D.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Perk up there.....
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 05:38:35 pm »
is there many Can Am's on the vmx circuit over east ?
cheers WA
Best is in the West !!

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 05:41:36 pm »
Those MX3s do look a treat.

Don't hink there's many racing in the east VMX, but then I'm probably not a good one to answer since I'm up in FNQ

magoo

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 05:48:10 pm »
Nitram has got about 300 Can Ams, he's the man to talk to.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 12:09:33 am »
i am starting work on my 250 canam 8)
soon as i finish my montesas :o
when i do i will post a progress report ;D ;D ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 09:41:17 am »
Which model Canam is it Holeshot?

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 08:57:11 pm »
jc all the details are in a post
work this one out in canam
its a 75 but its a bit different ;D ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline Nitram

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 04:50:10 pm »
Nitram's Can-Am's are all out to pasture 'til '09, by which time his shoulder might be all better and his racing licence re-newed. 

Meanwhile he working on a (Yukkkkkk  !)  MONTESA !

See y'all next year. 

Nitram :) :)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 09:09:08 am »
So what Montesa is it M?
The old 63M?

Offline Nitram

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 09:22:17 pm »
Hi John,
Yep, the dreaded 63M.  It's been "in the family" since I was about 16 years old.  My mate Blacky had it when we were at school and my brother bought it from him. Then I inherited it and road raced it in the early PCRA days here in Sydney from about '81 to '85 or so.  Then it gathered dust 'til I resurrected it about two years ago and installed a new piston, and it promptly seized on its first outing at a shortcircuit meeting last year  under no load which was a bit weird.  It turned out to be a collapsed main bearing on the drive side- which is even weirder since there are two side-by-side bearings on that side, and the other one on the same side was fine.
But the bottom-end is back together now and hopefully it'll be a runner again in a week or two and I might race it pre-'75 in the new year.

How is your 175TNT coming along ?  I'm looking for some bits for a 250/175 Qualifier engine- in particular a good kick starter shaft and return spring and other associated bits and pieces.  And also a gearchange shaft.  I'm trying to build a 250 engine to replace the 175 in the "MX3".  Any ideas ?

Cheers,

Martin

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 10:49:58 am »
Thanks M,

Hope the recuperation is going well. Twas great catching up w you at CD5. Hope to see you at CD6 too.

Glad to hear the 63M is getting a new lease of life. Not too many of that model around. For some reason I tho't you'd sold it. Apparently Laurie Alderton loved that model.

The 175 Canam project is beginning to take more shape. Its actually an MX2 I've realised, not a TNT, but I'm doing it up as a 77 Qual replica. I bit the bullet & bought most of the parts I needed from US, but am still waiting for some of them to arrive. I got a new MX3 airbox & it looks suitable, so won't need yr spare cut one (but thanks for the offer anyway).

Had great service from Tony Murphy, but can't say the same for Vintageparts4u in Canada (to put it mildly!). Misleading emails, no-answer emails, little/no after-sales service when parts supposedly sent don't tun up. Just get the feeling you can't trust what they say. They have a good range of parts (& good website) but I won't be dealing w them again unless there's no option. Even then I'll think twice.

Can't help you w the engine parts you need unfortunately. Paul Kalika in Melbourne had some spare 250 stuff sometime ago. I think he goes by canam370 on this site.

If you have a spare 175 Qual II/III pipe (when you get yr 250 engine going) can I have 1st option on it pls

runutz698

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 01:27:41 pm »
Any pictures of this Monty??