Author Topic: non vmx but fun toy issues  (Read 2340 times)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
non vmx but fun toy issues
« on: January 30, 2017, 09:07:03 pm »
got an evinrude v6 on a ski boat. the main tilt trim ram was leaking 5 or more years ago and the "since the dawn of time " mechanics had just shut shop so I took the boat to a new mob and they duly replaced the seals and all was good. EXCEPT! I didn't actually use the boat until some 2 - 3 years later when I rerege'd and fired her up followed by a trip to the lake for a test spin. all was well until I was loading it and b*ggr me, oil slick at the back of the boat?? WTF?? inspection saw the trim electric motor had a dint in its roof and the body had cracked >:( IJITS at the shop hadn't replaced the split pins in the main ram locating pin and it had worked out and on full down had crushed the motor. (sorry bout the waffle I didn't think it would be this long) fast fwd, kids have moved back to town "how about we go skiing?? so I grabbed a new motor, fitted it up and "brrrr" motor goes up and down all good. quick wash and add fuel and fire it up..great! hey! motor doesn't go down?? goes up ok? not down >:( >:(, pulled the unit out and fiddled and it starts working down.. refit and... NOW IT DOESNT GO UP!!! bleeding and farting around has it just almost able to lift the motor with a little help clearly an airlock issue. SO...any tips???? im sick of lifting and dropping the motor....

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Re: non vmx but fun toy issues
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 09:34:51 pm »
Just sell it , and buy a dirt bike  ;D

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 10:10:59 pm »
check the wiring is correcy my 135 merc did that till i did up the conectors properly
jim

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 07:52:10 am »
got a dirt bike, too hot to ride currently... thx jim, checked all that twice. clearly a bleed issue as its improving every time I can release air from the reservoir. I might (gasp) have to take it to a tub mechanic!!! >:( >:(

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 06:44:03 pm »
Get a real boat with the motor in the middle! I know where you can get them.
K

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 07:24:46 pm »
got some results today, took the unit out, rotated it about a bit and got the air bubbles moving.

last time I got in a boat with a motor in the middle, it developed a fuel leak and we just realised before the inevitable boom and mushroom cloud of smoke...scary with your 12 y/o in the boat... im happy with the drama all outside the boat.

also, a motor in the middle boat needs to have a 20k v8 to keep with my little sled....love it when inboarders suddenly realise there 80 mph boat is a 20mph speedo error