Author Topic: Stripping paint from Magnesium.  (Read 5393 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Stripping paint from Magnesium.
« on: November 16, 2016, 04:58:54 pm »
Is this do'able with normal paint stripper or blasting without damaging it?

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Stripping paint from Magnesium.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 05:16:34 pm »
Non-caustic paint stripper (methylene chloride) is fine with metals, but will wreck many plastics
Caustic paint stripper (sodium hydroxide) will dissolve magnesium and aluminium
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 05:26:03 pm »
Yep i have done this plenty of times. Just paint stripper out a tin, that clear paste sort of stuff from Mitre 10. I would not sand blast it though, at least anything thats not really thick because its too aggressive. Normal glass beads are fine but if the parts are really rotted and getting thin it is possible for the beads to errode the mag or even blast holes in it but you need to be holding the gun really close to the part for minutes at a time to really do that so just use common sense. Dont hold it in one spot for really long time and have a decent gap an give it more of a light 'dust' instead. Just experiment a but and you will soon work out what the part can handle. I have had some suzuki magnesium covers that have caused me some headaches as they have been in really bad condition. Pretty much throwaway items that i have wanted to 'save', with really bad rotting and it gets to the point that you cant blast all the corrosion out with out erroding the material away or blasting holes in it. Have  had the same problems with XL250 motosport clutch covers which are known for rotting where the clutch actuatator shaft is.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 10:49:52 pm »
Thanks gents, does it become less durable if it remains unpainted?

Offline geoff

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 11:21:07 pm »
You need to keep it covered if bare metal, as it will corrode very quickly. I always paint the item as quickly as possible and touch up any chips when in use.

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:39:55 am »
If it's a magneto cover and made of magnesium, it's a good idea to paint the inside as well as the outside, for protection from corrosion
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 04:18:34 pm »
Its a complete 2t bottom end, I kind of like the bare magnesium look, maybe clear anodising?

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 10:45:27 am »
From the home of vapour / vapor / wet / aqua / hydra /  hydro blasting. So many variations of a title for the same basic process lol !!!

When I do magnesium for customers parts the paint is removed in a methylene chloride dip tank then vapour blasted at a reasonably high pressure for paint prep, along with another little trick which gives a little more 'key' for paint to latch onto unless it is going to be left unpainted and then it's done with a different approach for a more durable and dressy finish.

Magnesium should generally be painted for maximum protection as it can be more unstable and vulnerable to corrosion.

Same process applies for aluminium but for a dollar reason. Why spend your dollars for me to chase a shiny finish that paint is less likely to want to attach too.

Hope this helps.

Dave Mac  :)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline supermotomc

• C-Grade
  • SWM ktm, dealer mechanic 1977-1995
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 12:46:49 pm »
Powdercoat like rotax and you have no problems!! leave it open to the air at your peril!!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 09:54:46 pm »
Don.t  use the oxy blow torch.....
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.