Author Topic: Mono MV  (Read 6048 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Re: Mono MV
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 06:51:48 pm »
4/Alloy h/bars too modern.

Too modern? Well, that'll fail it in scrutineering at Connondale Nats next year.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

firko

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 10:42:27 pm »
Maybe this unfurls the mystery a little more..........It's a piece of art.

[/b]

Here is the story that came with the bike….

The bike sold for $17,500 US. Can you believe it? What do you think drove the price? Was it the story, the internet hype, or simply someone who appreciates motorcycle art?]url]J. Wood & Company has held an annual auction in Daytona for the past 20 years. This year, they auctioned off a very interesting piece of art that fetched a very interesting price. At the very least, it a well thought out piece of motorcycle racing art, that comes with an unbelievable story.
Monomoto Cafe Racer 
MV Monomoto SOLD at J. Wood & Company Auction

Many of you have seen this MV Monomoto as it did a cyber tour of motorcycle forums and enthusiasts email boxes around the world.  It went up for auction recently at the annual J. Wood & Company auction held in Daytona, and it fetched a pretty penny.

Click here to read the story of the bike, and to see what it sold for.

Here is the story that came with the bike….

"This MV Augusta 60cc Monomoto Superleggera is the experimental machine ridden by young wealthy Italian Luiggi Bandini, during practice for the 1954 Milano-Taranto Road Race. Bandini tragically lost control in a misty mountain section, while waving to a pretty spectator. His grief stricken father, Count Enzio Bandini, “The Falcon,” never again permitted anyone to ride or even view this advanced design, and knowledge of its whereabouts faded. Eventually, rumors of this fascinating machine reached the motorcycling bon vivant Todd Fell. On a trip to Naples, Italy, his quest to find it was rewarded at the Bandini country villa, where in 2004, fifty years after the tragic accident, the late Count’s family was persuaded to part with the treasure."

The bike sold for $17,500 US. Can you believe it? What do you think drove the price? Was it the story, the internet hype, or simply someone who appreciates motorcycle art?
[/ftp]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/img]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:49:32 pm by firko »

mx250

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 11:58:26 pm »
So, it's an elaborate fake  ;). Well that okay then, we'll call it art ;D.

Being the Westy and philistine that I am :P I call it bullsh*t and the $17,500 buyer a w*nker  with more money than sense :o.

firko

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 07:35:26 am »
Personally I think it's a piece of genius. If you look really close to the photos you'd realise that it's a clever piece of engineering that could probably run if you could actually ride and stop the thing. I reckon the buyer will make his money back pretty quickly on the showbike circuit. I love it.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 07:56:38 am »
It's certainly pretty and all the old MVs could probably qualify as 'art', but there's no way in the World this one could balance under power.
Apart from looking gorgeous perhaps it should be hooked up to a blender to be of some use?
I enjoyed your little piece of mystery there Firko!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 03:27:58 pm by Wombat »
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 06:31:06 pm »
Here is a modern version of a 'mono' this one even you or I could ride.... It's called 'The Uno'

Joe near Bendigo
SL175, SL70, XL250S, CT110 collecting bits....