Author Topic: Honda XR staked clutch nut removal??  (Read 1875 times)

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Honda XR staked clutch nut removal??
« on: January 23, 2017, 06:08:02 pm »
G'day all,

This is my first 4 stroke and also the first Honda i ever own....currently i'm doing a top end rebuild and the clutch needs to be removed so i can remove the oil pump in order to replace the cam chain....i haven't seen any clutch nuts like this before....a staked nut which it's got a sleeve on top of the nut to prevent it from backing off. Apparently i should install a new nut each time i take the clutch hub off....What should i do to unstake it????

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Honda XR staked clutch nut removal??
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 10:06:59 am »
I just unwind them; the nut is softer than the shaft. You can reuse usually. If you're worried dab a little red Loctite.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 10:08:01 am »
I have a few different size old screwdriver shanks that I drive under the stake to free them up. If your careful the nut will work again by re-staking it with a bit of flat steel bar and a hammer. If the nut is damaged one trick is to machine .25mm of the nut face in a lathe which allows it to do up in a different place or just replace the nut if readily available.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 10:15:00 am »
Machine the nut or use a thin shim washer to achieve the same result, All you need is a new section of the nut aligned with the slot to re-stake. Loctite is a go, a new nut would be ideal but not necessary.

I would not restake the nut where it was originally staked in case the metal fatigues and chips off in service leaving a chip of metal on the loose in your cases.

A pin drift to tap the collapsed section of nut out of the groove as best you can achieve and then back the nut off, as has been said, the nut is softer than the hardened gearshaft and will not mar the threads.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."