Author Topic: advice: ohlins vintage find  (Read 9780 times)

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: advice: ohlins vintage find
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 04:24:50 PM »
    ITC (immediate track control )this system was bought out on the on the 83 huskies to stay competitive with the single shock bikes the jap's had changed to -worked well i though

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »
Agree with Wasp. I only used Ohlins dampers beacause I had stock springs and stock RM dampers were to much work to make them rebuildable etc. Yes you have to pull Ohlins apart to adjust. I did all machining myself so that cost me nothing. Sounds like YSS is a good choice with good part availability when something needs replacing. And can be build to length you need so it is basicaly fit a forget  no need to adapt anything. Good luck, whatever you decide to do :)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 05:46:10 PM »
Ghostdancer - what bike are the shocks for?

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 06:21:15 PM »
    ITC (immediate track control )this system was bought out on the on the 83 huskies to stay competitive with the single shock bikes the jap's had changed to -worked well i though

ive also heard immediate terrible crash..!!

Offline ghostdancing

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 06:43:08 PM »
@gippslander: you can see the bike in my previous thread (few days ago.. dont remember the title..anyway shocks related) it's an XT250 twinshocked in a moment of creativity

@walter: i can fit piggybacks, but only if the reservoir design it's very "tapered" (ohlins oldstyle, falcons, early corte cosso).. the "modern" design piggyback shocks (YSS and other) have the reservoir higher and the duct less inclined: that's why they wont fit (unless i decide to modify the pipe)

anyway i did my homework about ITCs.. so i know that they have shorter travel\longer body and dont work well on any bike but the 82 husky (unless heavy modified)

another point to explain why i trash my time (and probably money) with old shocks when i can buy a  set of good new shocks tailored on my needs: i love older bikes, i love period correct looking parts on an old bike.. it's all for the look guys

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 08:34:43 PM »

[/quote]

ive also heard immediate terrible crash..!!
   -    I  think that title went with the 82' maico saga   ????                                                                                                                             

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 10:10:37 AM »
itc's have a trap for young players..they don't like g out type dips that start steep and then flatten out gently. it doesn't bring the high speed damping into action and the low speed allows the shock to go straight to the bottom with a horrible crash. if your sitting down, its a big kick in the butt!

Offline ghostdancing

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 09:19:02 PM »
Mark, i guess we all know here that our friend walter sells shocks, and he got excellent knowledge on the matter as well is a good sales man.. thailand is becoming the land of shocks factories: also gazis are made there.. they have a big internal bikes market and a  machining\mechanic industrial history since many decades.

speaking of personalized shocks: i'm also in touch with works performance in the US, they asked me the measurements of the rear swingarm\triangle frame.. but they sells an emulsion model around the same money (600\650  usd).. i feel it's not cheap for a technology surpassed since 45 years or so..

also had a talk with falcon shocks in the UK..looks like they are not so intersted in selling shocks.. the boss told me that it's impossible for him select the correct spring rate as my bike is a special (one-of) and there are no useful info to select the springs..