Author Topic: Clutch cable  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Terrapista

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Clutch cable
« on: November 26, 2016, 05:30:57 pm »
Heres a basic one that got me beat. Do you have to tension the clutch cable before you place it in the barrel at lever to then adjust it? No matter what i do even moving the actuator a groove or two either way i have loose or tight (clutch not engaging). Clutch rebuild was all fine and placed correctly
 It is a pe250c.
Thank you.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch cable
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 06:05:03 pm »
Correct cable?  Generally everything is lightly loosened off when fitting a cable,then adjust at motor if that design & work your way up, some cables have an inline adjuster, do that next if one fitted then the lever adjuster last, if it does not work some thing is wrong in the clutch mechanism in the cover or the cable is incorrect :), Suzuki Gurus any tips? Does the clutch arm need to be oriented a certain way in the cover?  does the splined arm line up with marks etc?

Offline Terrapista

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 06:39:40 pm »
Thanks for those pointers. Clymers mentioned nothing about orientation to marks or notches for internals but i will pull apart again and go through it. Cheers.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 12:02:33 pm »
have you got the pe cable or rm?
as smed said pe has inline adjuster as well as the adjuster at the bottom wich screws into the clutch cover
either one no matter, do up adjuster (shorten cable) so to give adjustment after,
now cable is at shortest and mounted except for clutch lever arm at the front of clutch cover, remove that arm and position so as to give a little slack in cable,
then (on pe cable) you have 3 points of adjusmemt
1 on the bars (clutch lever perch)
2 inline adjuster in the cable
3 adjuster at and on the clutch cover
let me know if any more info needed cheers

Offline Terrapista

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 01:09:11 pm »
I only have two points of adjustment at the lever and above the cover. Clymers show inline above the cdi unit. The adjustment which screws into the cover is that for the pinion release .. the small bolt that goes down to it. If so how does that bolt work on it. Am going to purchase oem cable to start from scratch. Stretching this thread for basic mech but good to understand though.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 01:20:38 pm »
I only have two points of adjustment at the lever and above the cover. Clymers show inline above the cdi unit. The adjustment which screws into the cover is that for the pinion release .. the small bolt that goes down to it. If so how does that bolt work on it. Am going to purchase oem cable to start from scratch. Stretching this thread for basic mech but good to understand though.
shorten (RM cable) @ both adjustment points, take the arm off the spline on the clutch cover rotate into best position replace pinch bolt and tension
now go back to the 2 cable adjusters and do your clutch cable adjustment (aprox 2 to 3mm gap at purch and lever when slack has been pulled up to start of action)
please ask for more info if needed
cheers

Offline Terrapista

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 06:40:55 pm »
Thank you vey much. Just finished with new rack release and thrust bearing. Put together tonite to start adjusting as described.
Ta

Offline Terrapista

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 04:48:03 pm »
Woo hoo! It works with the OEM cable and adjustment as described. Thank you. Very happy.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 10:32:54 am »
Woo hoo! It works with the OEM cable and adjustment as described. Thank you. Very happy.
that's great, Well done
merry Christmas