Author Topic: Alloy for airbox  (Read 3471 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Alloy for airbox
« on: December 07, 2016, 08:11:55 pm »
What thickness alloy does everyone make airboxes from? 1.6 or 2mm thick?
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Alloy for airbox
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:16:59 pm »
1.6 would be more than enough. It will form easier if it is thinner. Go for a 5000 or 6000 series aluminium in 0 condition, this will be weldable and easy to work with.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:48:45 pm »
1.6 mm.....

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 08:53:00 pm »
I will make it so the seams are really close so any good TIG welder should have no problems with it
I was going to use 6061 and even if it was in T6, because of the thin thickness i reckon it would still bend ok.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:47:59 pm »
1.5 or 2mm
2mm is more forgiving when trying to get odd shapes to fit together

5005 is best and easily sourced, it welds and forms easily.

Don't waste your time with 6061 T6, airbox's aren't structural items so don't need the strength.
6061 won't bend while in the T6 temper and will crack through out the bend, you will have to anneal it to be able to bend it any further than a mild break.
And if you can piece it together without bending then it will lose its T6 from the heat anyway so you will have to have it heat treated for any benefit
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 10:27:54 pm »
Thanks for the tips. I was not necessarily wanting 6061 for its strength its just that its readily available. Is 5005 just as corrosion resistant as 6061?

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 08:52:42 am »
5000 series will be ideal for an airbox. It is widely used in commercial applications, any propeller plate or checker plate you see on tradies utes/toolboxes etc are 5000 series.

6061 is structural because it responds well to heat treatment to achieve higher strength (but only if it is done properley, and only after all the welding and cold working is carried out).

Since most airfilter cases are made from plastic as they are not load bearing, a non structural grade of Alloy will be fine.

Consider the following though;

If you want better abrasion resistance (5000/6000 is as soft as butter in the annealed condition and easily scratched and marked) anodise the finished product. You can give it the brushed finish or polished  as you prefer and anodise to preserve the appearance.

If you are concerned with the box fatigueing through vibration and developing cracks you could use rubber grommets to act as vibration isolation mountings. Good design and workmanship will most likely negate the liklihood of in service fatigue.

Anodising is also an excellent surface protection and will protect all surfaces both inner and outer from corrosion, plus a colour can be added before the sealing process to customise the finish if you like.

Be aware that there are better combinations of filler wire and alloy compositions to avoid welds and parent metal being a different shade when anodised. (silicon is used in Al filler wire to aid flow in the welding process, but the silicon has the tendency to anodise darker than the parent material which has a lower silicon content) Choose a Tig filer wire with a lower silicon content if anodising the finished product and aesthetics are important.

I have made air boxes of both welded and riveted ( solid rivets - wet installed )construction from 0.060 inch and no anodised finish which have maintained thier appearance and not cracked or split or corroded to any great extent.

You can always use scotchbrite to achive a nice even brushed finish that is easily "touched up" with a light blend and a rub with scotchbrite in areas that tend to get surface attack from abrasion and debris pitting.

Hope this gives you some options to consider.   

Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 09:12:28 pm »
Yeah i will be rubber mounting it for sure. I am aware of filler rod types and annodizing and have the info on that. The welder will know what has to be used. I dont think it will get knocked around too much so i have not made a decision on anodizing yet. 1 step at a time and first thing i need to do is make a dummy out of cardboard.

I have found these to be really good on alloy along with the usual green Chux pads.
https://www.paintaccess.com.au/products/copy-of-uni-pro-flexible-sanding-blocks?variant=16532899845

Thanks for tips/ideas.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 10:02:01 pm »
As already said.  Make it out of 2 mm 5005.

I've made dozens of similar container type things from this material - fuel tanks, oil tanks- all sorts of semi structural parts. The 6061 cracks short and 1.6 mm 5005 is a lot more prone to stress/vibration cracking than 2 mm. It weld easily, is very corrosion resisistant and anodises and polishes well and is rreadily available.
2.00 mm will still bend very tight without cracking.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 11:36:48 am »
I like what I'm hearing, will look trick (worksy)