Author Topic: cheap bearings  (Read 4030 times)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
cheap bearings
« on: October 21, 2016, 06:16:59 pm »
bought some over the counter 6302's for the rear wheel on the husky just before harrow. i know ill fix em with a real grease, not the sex lube they come with so I flicked the seals off and bel ray greased em. just had the wheel out and they are poohed all ready...that'l learn me!

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: cheap bearings
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 08:42:44 am »
I pulled the pulleys out of a fitness machine for a mate and replaced the bearings.

The bearings were cast into the placcy pulleys, so I mounted them into the lathe and put a boring bar into them. Imagine my surprise when the cutting tool kissed the outer race and started shaving it off like butter.

I have no idea why you would make things that looked like bearings when at retail a quality bearing was $6.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 10:01:35 am »
What brand of bearing? Reputable brands like Timken, FAG, Koyo etc should give good service life? Could it be that you over packed the bearing?
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:03:18 pm »
What brand of bearing? Reputable brands like Timken, FAG, Koyo etc should give good service life? Could it be that you over packed the bearing?
Good comment there.
When I was still working as a toolmaker I used to recondition high speed spindles for a plastic grinding firm that were failing early, the bearings were sent of for testing still packed with grease with a sample of the excess as well & the verdict came back as the grease was acting as a insulator causing the bearing to overheat. With that information the company lowered how often they greased the bearings & the service interval increased until they replaced them with a oil fed system

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 02:27:14 pm »
"There's no substitute for quality"  ;D
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:39:39 pm »
overheating could be an option as there was melted grease around the seals and i thought it might be from the bearing spinning on the axle....I had recently done a bit of a road run.

Offline dont

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 08:18:00 am »
Both bearings or just one side?
I reckon tollerances are critical for wheel bearings ( otherwise largeside load) and cheapgeneric bearings have poor tollerances.
I've got cheap chinese skf bearings in a low load situation in two old ducati motors and keep an eye on them but are doing fine so far

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 04:19:29 pm »
There's no substitute for quality

never mind the quality...feel the width! :o

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 07:49:25 pm »

Been pricing headstock steering stem bearings for my Greeves.  The first seller wants around $60 for the pair, more expensive because they are Imp not Metric.  Next gave me a discount total $50, so I tried a seller from China $4.99 US each plus 99c delivery for the pair, total of $10.96 delivered to the door.  If I buy a similar Chinese bearing from Australian seller they are around $12 each plus delivery.  Not suggesting that you all go out and buy Chinese stuff but the price does come into it specially in lower impact and load situations, not for the likes of main or wheel bearings.
              Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 08:21:09 pm »
Chinese there for sure

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 11:39:00 am »
Zane what is the name of the seller with the chingca steering head bearings?i got a ark brand trailer hub from s/cheap to replace the damaged hub on the trailer my neighbour sold me and it came with chingca bearings and they always run 10c hotter then the other side that had regreased timkums in it,moral of the story don't run chingca bearing if you want trouble free motoring

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 05:14:44 pm »

Matt this is the name of the supplier including email address.  He was a little slow in replying the first time (away on Holidays) but after that he replies same day.  But being a bit impatient I purchased from the Sydney company and paid more than double the cost.  Have to give myself an uppercut.   Zane

Joe Lee
Shanghai Allen Bearing Co.,Ltd
Add: Baolv Road.Baoshan Disctrict.Shanghai.P.R.Of China
Office:  86-21-62366119  Fax: 86-21-62366119
Cell (whatsapp): 86.135.8596.3949

Joe Lee [[email protected]]
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.