Author Topic: Do Montesas evr blow up like Ossas and Buls?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Do Montesas evr blow up like Ossas and Buls?
« on: September 02, 2007, 06:11:14 am »
I was just talking to an Ossa "Guru" about a rebuild and found out about the weak points and faults in the Phantom motors.  I've heard that some Bultacos can be delicate also, so are the Montesas the most durable of the Spanish makes?

The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

lms6201

Re: Do Montesas evr blow up like Ossas and Buls?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 09:22:29 am »
they all cook if jetted too lean , or get a lean mix from a leak on the intake or even a hole in the filter, or if timed too far advanced can cause pinging which can lead to premature ejactulation , spanish bikes need more "setting up " than jap bikes i feel, , it also seems different brand  pistons withstand different levels of abuse , like i had a wiesco blow the top off for no apparent reason (pursang ) yet the mahle piston seems ok at the same settings , more suck i guess ,  but it,s mainly in the set up , so if it starts pinging  stop the bike     

mx250

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 09:30:06 am »
'Light blue taper and stand well clear'  ;D

As a Monty owner and rider of extensive experience  ::) I can only agree and add that Monty owners are obviously a superior type with obvious superior intelect  ;D.

While all Spanish owners show good taste, loyality and a superior intelect compared to the average MX'er, it is the Monty owner that stands out.

(The Mona Lisa - the very image of good taste and superiority ;))

All Things 414

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 09:44:55 am »
IMS is right on the money. If they run lean-they die! As soon as you can't get them to idle, start pulling things off and checking them. Otherwise they'll just nip up and that's the end. The upside is that if they're not sucking air, they just won't wear out and of coarse they'll FLY!!