Author Topic: Main Bearings from General Supplier  (Read 3654 times)

Loydee

Main Bearings from General Supplier
« on: August 08, 2008, 12:13:02 am »
Hi just bought some main bearings for my TS185 reed valve engine. They are SKF and I ordered C3 spec. The 6305 C3 (Ignition side) has 7 larger balls compared to the original's 8. Does this matter? Have been on the skf site  and just says OK up to 16,000 revs! It has Explorer 07 13 078 E on it. Plus, the recess in outer race isn't deep enough to fit the guide for the oil from autolube.... Should I junk it and get another one? Like a 6305 ETN9....
If spec is OK could I just remove the two oil guide rings and run pre-mix, Bike is used in vintage enduro. Thanks for your time  ;D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Main Bearings from General Supplier
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 04:36:15 pm »
for the ignition side main bearing you should only use the bearing from your suzuki dealer. it has a special shroud that locates with another separate shield for the proper lubrication of the bearing with oil injection.
unless your going to be using premix i would go with the suzuki bearing
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 07:35:48 pm »
I didnt think you could premix the early Zoki cause the sheild over the main.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Loydee

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 07:08:05 am »
Well I'm quite into going onto pre-mix for this bike.In which case ,is that bearing 6305 C3 SKF high enough spec? When shield is removed from crank (just pulls off) do I need a shim of equal thickness to maintain same end-float?

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 08:26:41 am »
yes
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 07:39:12 pm »
i though you also had to make a feed to it as in drill it, otherwise the oil still dont get there even with the guard off ?
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Loydee

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:45:01 am »
Well I thought without shields/guards on it was just like any non-autolube 2 stroke and the fuel brought the oil into the bearing. In the old MX mag articles on converting TMs simply says remove guides, insert washer and  block oil feeds..

Doc

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 08:32:21 am »
Loydee, have heard of people omitting the sheids and not replacing with a shim without incidence but for mine I'd like a shim to be fitted. It's only 0.80mm thick and not hard to find something. Suzuki's preferred method in the old days was to leave the pump intact and run premix for the top end. You swap the top end feed line onto the lower end feed banjo on the oil pump and block off the other banjo. You then remove the cable and lock the pump in the position of the first mark on the lever and body and run premix in the top end. With the oil guide plate and pump totally removed ideally you should drill a hole in the cases above the left main to have it feed mixture to the outer area between the seal and bearing. The inside of the bearing picks up oil from the mixture but the outside of the bearing against the seal will starve and run dry without this feeder hole. It may go bang and it may not go bang but if you look in your RM100 cases you'll see where it needs to be positioned and I believe Mr Suzuki knows a heck of a lot more than me in this regard so I'd follow their example. To save any drama of boring holes in the wrong places I still run the pumps on my bikes but only to feed the left main, the rest is from the premix.  The genuine bearings are expensive but once replaced you won't have to look at them again for a long long time as the cci system really does give them an extra lease on life via the constant supply of clean fresh oil.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:35:22 am by Doc »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 11:10:37 am »
what DOC said    ;D
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Loydee

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 06:29:35 am »
First off, thanks Doc,LWC3077 & Freakshow for yer advice. After all the messing about with pattern stuff I did what ya said and got the Suzuki bearing and will keep the CCI autolube.It had to be ordered by the Suzuki dealer and took a week cost 3 times as much as pattern stuff, but hey it fits and even came with a new oil slinger. NOW I can get on with me rebuild.  ;D.
For others out there PATTERN suppliers stuff DOESN'T FIT. Good makes an all: SKF (recess too small) & KOYO (no recess at all...).
Thanks again  :D

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 07:56:48 pm »
HEy if it works ill send you a bottom end for a TM you can rebuild for me :O)

on a thread hijack what and where and how much are DT1/ yza bearings - should they be Yamaha or just any old thing ? words of wisdom someone as i need a set.  before i screw up.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:58:34 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 10:59:07 pm »
There is nothing special about genuine main bearings except for the box they come in and where the manufacturer chooses to make the bearing an odd size.I've cut the slinger down and made a path for the oil to the outer of the bearing.No drama's. 
Jesus only loves two strokes