Author Topic: Gasket placement  (Read 3756 times)

Offline Terrapista

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Gasket placement
« on: September 05, 2016, 05:56:47 pm »
Hi. Would like to know what type of glue is used to replace gaskets. Specifically for a clutch cover on a pe250c. I havent done it before. Cheers

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Gasket placement
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 06:56:26 pm »

Have to use the old genuine suzuki brand glue or it just wont work. Honda glue makes the smoke red and Yamaha glue will make the exhaust sound like a piano. Better drop in to your local Suzuki dealer and see if they have any Yellow Suzuki brand glue for Vintage  bikes. In fact , insist on the Dirt bike version with added knobs but they may have to order it in. ..

yeah i needed a giggle too.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 07:22:50 pm »
Thats probably just a repackage of the Threebond 1215. Same stuff as what Yamaha use. Its good stuff.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Terrapista

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 07:47:27 pm »
Thank you. I know its a basic one but this vintage caper has got me schizn. Things dont gel reading the net only eh but the clymers manual is good and of course ozvmx. Sad that its going but at least now it placed a purpose to learn and keep the pe going.

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 09:41:17 pm »
Well, at least the clymer is good for stopping oil stains on the workshop floor. (open to a new page and place it under the bike)

That is about it IMHO.

Offline Nebo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 02:13:17 pm »
     Threebond 1215 is Grey .  Threebond 1211 is White.

1211 does not set hard like 1215. Good for gasket sealing on covers, crankcase,  head and base gaskets  and  VW/PORSCHE Crankcases and of course a MUST on any British bike engines.                  Do not use to much.

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 07:35:54 pm »
Loctite master gasket ( red )

Offline TTezza

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 06:52:43 pm »

Best I have used

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 08:05:16 pm »
One of the most important things to do when rebuilding motors is to try and ensure all the mating surfaces are in good condition so when the standard gaskets are used, correct sealing is achieved without the need for any of the "gasket repair" products. Apart form using some Vaseline smeared on the case surfaces prior to assembly to encourage the gasket material to swell and seal better, no other sealer should be needed. The clutch covers on the Suzuki's are prone to corrosion pitting, warping and screw driver gouge damage so attention to correcting these defects before re-fitting is better in the long run than using a sealer especially if by some chance you need to remove and replace the cover in the pits to do running repairs.

Normally before I get anywhere near re-assembling a motor, I use a metal putty to repair any sealing face imperfections on all the engine case surfaces. This is then filed back and the cases rubbed on a surface plate (or a sheet of glass) with 800 wet and dry paper to achieve a true flat surface. A leaky clutch cover is relative easy to repair after a rebuild, but a bad sealing outcome between the centre cases is much more frustrating and regrettable for not paying more attention especially when gearbox oil starts to leak into the crankcase cavity or transfer compression is lost.

I also have a XL Honda where no gasket is used between the engine cases, then Theebond or similar is the recommended sealer.