Author Topic: FRAME FOR 350 ARIEL VMX SPECIAL  (Read 2356 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
FRAME FOR 350 ARIEL VMX SPECIAL
« on: August 28, 2008, 07:10:12 am »
hi
can any one tell me what frames pre unit english motors fit to make pre 70 vmx specials.i have a home made dirt track frame but restoring the bike to a vmx spesial would give me better riding options
cheers
jim

firko

Re: FRAME FOR 350 ARIEL VMX SPECIAL
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 04:13:24 pm »
Jim..I reckon you'd be letting the engine down by building it as a pre '70 machine. It'd be way off the pace compared to the 2 strokes or even the B44 Beezas. Build it as a pre '65 by putting it in a BSA Goldy,A50,A65 style frame. They were the hot ticket back in the era or you could find a genuine Ariel frame. Is the engine a Red Hunter 350? The hot ticket is a Metisse MK3 or Cheney but I doubt you want to spend the big dollars for a kit. If you can't find a BSA frame I'd be looking for an original Ariel frame and lighten the crapola out of it. It's amazing what you can achieve with a hacksaw, a grinder and some lateral thinking. ;)
I'd use either CZ or Betor forks, CZ magnesium hubs and a nice alloy or fibreglass tank.
John Selva from Victoria has had some amazing success in pre '60 and '65 VMX on his nice HS Ariel over the years so they can be put to good use. Below is the most famous Ariel of all time, Sammy Millers beautiful GOV132 trials bike. It's not really a scrambler but there wasn't a lot of difference in the day. There's a good feature on this bike in the latest Classic Dirt Bike.

Although this is a Matchless powered BSA, you get the idea of what I'm talking about. Imagine an Ariel engine in there.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 04:38:49 pm »
MARK
the engine is my btothers gen art senior 350 ariel motor 1940 in 500 crankcases through bolted to take the extra hp.sid willis piston.it has its own slider type frame (wont go into that again) i want to ride it not a bike instead off.i leave hagon tt500 at home and ride the ariel. in a bsa frame i could ride both.allan is ok with the idea as long as i keep the frame to go with it. i get you ideas in early 1980s i raced a 84s in a bsa frame at amaroo on the tar. about the time when jim s started eso/jawa fetherbeds.brought up on bikes like that tribsa ect
cheers
any one got a b31/33 a10 bsa frame

firko

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 07:00:42 pm »