Author Topic: Ohlins shock eyelit remover  (Read 1579 times)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Ohlins shock eyelit remover
« on: September 08, 2016, 07:13:27 pm »
Hi guys
I want to put the shortest bottom eyelits on my piggy back Ohlins to make them shorter.
I came up with a idea to remove them with out damaging the chrome shalf ,
I have a peice of alloy square 25mm x 25mm I drilled a hole in the centre of it the same size as the shock shalf then I cut it in half through the centre of the hole so I could put one peice eather side of the shock shalf right at the end of the shalf then clamp it in a vice to stop the shalf Turning while removing the eyelit is this how the pros do it ?
I just don't Want to damage the chrome on the shalf but I will be doing this right at the end of the shalf where it's not going to travel into the shock body .
Or should I just post them to Steve cramer  or bk on this forum ?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:27:39 pm by mick25 »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Ohlins shock eyelit remover
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 07:51:10 pm »
The tool you describe is pretty much exactly like the genuine Ohlins shaft clamp blocks. If the shocks have the old steel eyes you will need quite a bit of heat to unscrew them. Heat gun and propane normally do not work as you cant get a lot of heat in quick enough to break down the stud locking type Loctite. You will need an oxy set. If you have the old Ohlins service manual it shows that way of doing it.  Once the eye has started to turn i spray some penetrating oil into it and work it back and forth slowly unscrewing it. If you just try and quickly unscrew the eye you can still tear the threads, especially if the eyes are the alloy type.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:24:13 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Ohlins shock eyelit remover
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 02:14:34 pm »
Dittto to LWC250PE. I've made a set of Ohlins shaft and body tools the same way. You do need oxy heat to kill the loctite.  You see, then smell a puff of smoke as it gives up.
If you love it, lube it.