Author Topic: Repairing seat foam  (Read 1843 times)

Repairing seat foam
« on: August 06, 2008, 08:59:27 pm »
The seat foam on my mx125 had big chunks out of it, looked like a rat the size of a dog had a go. There is no such thing as a new seat foam so i had a go at repairing it. I used the stuff to take up space, like a foam that hardens.It sticks like shit to a blanket and when set can be cut with a knife. I was a bit impatient so i didn't trim it properly, so when you rub your hand down the side you can feel the bumps. I couldnt find my orbital sander which i think will do the job. Thats a job after Conondale. I forgot to take a shot after i trimmed it up but you get the picture. Hopefully it should be a goer and it will be tested/flogged on the weekend.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Repairing seat foam
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 09:32:06 pm »
THAT STUFF GOES AS HARD AS HARD AS A ROCK  BE LIKE SITTING ON A FRUIT BOX.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:54:51 pm by paul »

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 01:52:28 pm »
so once you have the repairs done - cover it with a layer of 3mm to 6mm foam and should be as good as new?

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 05:40:28 am »
You may be able to get a "chopper" type custom shop to make the bottom of the foam for you. Here in the US I had bases and foams, covers made in the early 90s before seat parts were widley reproduced. ....BTW I thought Nightmare Racing had foams for KXs.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 05:50:53 am »
The seat is for an MX125 (not kx).
The foam does set harder than the seat foam so you can feel the difference.Because the repairs to mine are on the side there are no issues with fruit boxes.

Offline bert

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 09:39:14 pm »
Small repairs can be made by using silicon (the clear neutral cure silicon is best), then covering the seat in a 6mm thin foam prior to fitting the seat cover back on.

For larger repairs use another old seat and cut out sections to fit into the holes of the good foam and stick in using contact adhesive. When dry, use an old electric carving knife and angle grinder (carefully) to shape th enew piece of foam to suit the seat profile. Patch us small holes with the silicon and then  the thin foam and cover.

This has worked for me in the past.