Author Topic: KLX 250 Kickstarter Jammed  (Read 5385 times)

Offline PBMGold

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
KLX 250 Kickstarter Jammed
« on: July 21, 2016, 07:48:47 PM »
I am guessing that this isn't a simple problem but you never know, maybe a tap with a hammer or pray to the gods of green shit boxes might clear my problem so I can ride the Nationals two days later.

I just had the clutch plates, springs replaced, got the bike home and tried to start it. Three kicks later, the kick starter is stuck at bottom of the stroke and won't return to its resting position. Feels like it is jammed and i don't want to force it back up.

Put the bike i gear and gently rocked it to see if the piston movement may clear the jam. No luck.

Open to any suggestion. Bit desperate and wish I'd done a course on motorcycle mechanics.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: KLX 250 Kickstarter Jammed
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 07:59:33 PM »
Time to get the spanners out Im afraid. No telling what came loose (wasnt retightened) after you have had work on the very same mech or close to thats now gone kaput. id just take it back and say... Your kidding me right?

Offline PBMGold

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 08:10:20 PM »
I kind of thought that would be the case. Wonder if I could ride the 250 EVO class on a push bike?

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 08:12:22 PM »
Return spring may have came off its holding lug ?
Or Wasn't installed right in the first place , some times you have to rotate the spring around so it's got tenshion on it so the kick starter will return , I say it shouldn't be a big problem.

Offline PBMGold

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 08:27:04 PM »
Is the return spring internal - inside the right casing?

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 09:13:30 PM »
It should be behind the casing around the kick starter shalf .
You could find a online broken down parts dia that would show all the bits and where they go .
If you take the casing off you should be able to see something's not right .

I just looked on Partszilla parts site klx 250 1980 and shows on there kick starter picture and shows the spring around the kick starter shalf .
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:21:35 PM by mick25 »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »
It’s a fair bet the cover is just tight on the kickstart shaft, some Kawasaki’s have tight tolerances.
If they left the gasket out and just used sealer then the cover will sit closer in causing interference.
To confirm just release the screws holding the case on, this should release the pressure causing the interference and free up the shaft
If it does free up then the fix is;
#A   Use a gasket
Or
#B   Remove one of the thrust washers on the kickstart shaft.

I chose option B on my KDX
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 10:17:52 PM »
did you just press 2 on the phone Geoff???? ;D :D

Offline PBMGold

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 10:13:07 AM »
Thanks everyone for the info. It's now been discovered that the spline on the kick start lever has lost its splining and that's why it is stuck in the down position. It looks like the spline on the shaft is serviceable so now I'm chasing a kick start lever.

Perfect scenario -            Someone has one and is going to the Post Classic Nationals at Harrisville tomorrow and would like to sell it.
Next best option -           as above but only wants to lend the kick starter - I'd be eternally grateful.
Least attractive option -   I spend all weekend push starting the dunger and someone on the forum has a lever that they want to sell and post to me.

If anyone can help, let me know as soon as possible. Ring my mobile 0414 401060, thanks, Adrian.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 09:10:14 PM »
Good luck finding a NOS Kawasaki lever !!!!

Much better idea is to use a NOS Suzuki TS185 kick lever. They are the same spline and actually fit better and neater than the Kawasaki ones. There is a guy on ebay selling them. Only buy genuine Suzuki ones. The chrome repro ones for both Kawasaki and Suzuki are made of cheese. I know all this crap because the compression on mine is very high, and the life of kickstarts is very short.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline PBMGold

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 07:28:13 PM »
Your a legend Grouty. Thanks for that. I'll give it a go.