Author Topic: LETS TALK PAINT  (Read 2792 times)

Offline John Smith

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
LETS TALK PAINT
« on: May 06, 2016, 07:08:59 pm »
Hi all,

Does someone know what paint finishes were used on the 81 RM's. Was the frame a black gloss, the motor and hubs black satin? Along with black satin finish on brake plate assemblies?? I have the Suzuki paint colour code but not sure on the finish.

What type of application to you all use, im thinking a two pack type as against powder coating.

Thanks

JS

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: LETS TALK PAINT
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 07:50:06 pm »
Frame and other black steel parts - gloss. Some might say satin its not really though. I have have had/still have many NOS in packet black painted steel suzuki parts from that era and its obvious that suzuki intended it to be gloss, its just that the paint was done straight onto bare metal, and done to a price and it is very thin and there is no real depth to it. When you have NOS parts or find areas of original paint on the frame that have been covered and not exposed you will see that it was a gloss and not satin, its just that it does not quite have the depth of a modern day 2 pack gloss finish, which is done over etch primer and high build undercoats.
Engine - satin
Triple clamps - champagne gold metallic, satin
All other steel parts that were not black were normally champagne gold too
Hubs/brakes - satin

Champagne gold 08C is the same as suzuki automotive code 35P. Du Pont/Spies Hecker  #90595

Theres loads of discussion on powder coat vs paint on here already so i suggest you have a look whats been said many times before. I think you are thinking along the right way though.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:54:09 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:51:20 am »
Please correct me if Im wrong (no really) please
suzuki,s chassis paint is/was Gloss Black Enamel (Enamel was the first of the 2 packs, enamel + enamel add =)
questions- was the satin black ie cases and hubs Baked enamel ?
and was the silver metalic bits Acrylic Laquer?
its just that Im getting to the point were I want to use the period correct paint type I know I wont get the lead in the paint for colour match :o
ITS just that when doing Resto's not really interested in making it bigger and better but just how is was (warts and all) ;)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 10:10:31 am »
Please correct me if Im wrong (no really) please
suzuki,s chassis paint is/was Gloss Black Enamel (Enamel was the first of the 2 packs, enamel + enamel add =)
questions- was the satin black ie cases and hubs Baked enamel ?
and was the silver metalic bits Acrylic Laquer?
its just that Im getting to the point were I want to use the period correct paint type I know I wont get the lead in the paint for colour match :o
ITS just that when doing Resto's not really interested in making it bigger and better but just how is was (warts and all) ;)
anything ?

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 10:36:45 am »
The automotive paint industry is primarily built around the car crash repair industry. They want to get paint jobs in and out as fast as possible. Paint formulas/types and the way it is applied is changing/updating all the time. The 2pack black i was using a few years ago is different to what it is now. They updated and changed it. Also the EPA is having some effect on this and paints are becoming more enviromentally friendly.
I do not know what the satin finish on the hubs and engines was done in back then. What i use today is either VHT satin black out the can on engine or can do it in satin black 2pack with an additive. Hubs in satin 2pack as well. But if $ comes into it then just use satin black from a rattle can.
If we are talking champagne gold metallic as found on things like suzuki triple clamps, swingarms, shock springs etc then i will just use it in acrylic and then use 2 pack satin/matte clear over top. Technically its not the correct thing to as there wont be quite as good adhesion with the clear compared to using a proper 2pack base coat, but i am not even sure that colour is available in base coat anyway. In any case, for this application it is fine to use acrylic and saves some $ and is still a lot better than what suzuki offered.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:41:55 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 11:20:31 am »
thanks for that LWC82PE, hey ya havnt got a can of spare time