Author Topic: PARTS - COMPATABILITY ACROSS DIFFERENT MODELS  (Read 3597 times)

Offline John Smith

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
PARTS - COMPATABILITY ACROSS DIFFERENT MODELS
« on: May 08, 2016, 08:49:42 am »
Hi all,

Im doing a resto on an 81RM250X and as usual OEM parts are hard to come by, but no surprises there. I've been doing a bit of research across different models and years for cross compatability of parts.

For example the part number for a 250 part will be the same number as the 125 part except for a 2 in the last string of numbers. The part number for rhe 125 will have a 1 in the last string of numbers. Clear as mud...
Now  Im assuming this could mean the part with the 2 is for a the 250 model and the part with 1 in it is for the 125 model and there is no difference in the actual part as it looks similar in the diagram.
This obviously doesn't work for all parts, mainly frame etc.

Does anyone else have experience in this and how to ID parts to suit a range of models easily.

Thanks

JS

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: PARTS - COMPATABILITY ACROSS DIFFERENT MODELS
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 11:29:50 am »
I have no specific knowledge but would assume if it was the same part, it would have the same part number.
I wouldn't think there are a lot of interchanchable parts. If you want to test your theory, maybe look up the numbers for the fuel cap, and the expensive rod ends at the top of the vertical struts on the Full Floater suspension.
(High chance one or both of these parts are common, even though the tanks themselves are different....so... Maybe the cap...)

From memory I bought a new cap, with all the seals etc. Again from memory - reasonably priced.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 05:36:32 pm by skypig »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 11:42:21 am »
http://zedder.com/msg13.htm
http://www.zedder.com/itm00612.htm

get a copy of this. If the part number is different, the part is different. They do not just give the part a different number for each capacity bike if it the same part. The difference might only be the colour though and it may still fit or it could be a difference in the grade of steel used for the bolt or something and you may not even be able to physically see the difference.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:46:29 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline John Smith

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 11:46:34 am »
Wow that zedder software looks interesting and teally useful.  Have you used it much?

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 11:51:18 am »
Words can not describe how valuable it is to have. Highly recommended! I use it every day just  for personal use. There is the odd error in it and as far as i know it only goes up to year 2000 and it is based on the American market models so if there are specific parts on models out side USA then they wont show up in the database. For example the turn signal/blinkers on Suzuki PE's are no where to be found because they were not on the American models. So you need to be aware of things like that but otherwise its very good.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:53:49 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 12:42:41 pm »
different number different part.

there is method to the madness though. Suzuki do use the same part in different machines but the number is coded for the first machine it was used in.
Also, you will find that there are several numbers for the same item. these are evolutions of that part. Could be just the supplier of those parts.

the first part of the number describes the part. the second section has the model coded that first used that item and the last part is the variation and or colour.
54410-07002
54410-07003
54410-07004
all the same part.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 01:30:12 pm »
 Zedder is a very useful tool, but not 100%. It becomes less useful as your knowledge of a particular model increases. Check Zedder's results against part numbers from a reliable source.

Plus what the previous comments say.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline John Smith

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 05:21:59 pm »
Thanks guys all good tips.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 07:12:26 pm »
http://www.partsfish.com/page/oem-parts-for-suzuki      I use this site for Honda parts compatability,they do all four jap brands along with online parts diagrams, type in the part number in the box in the green shaded area, it will tell you what other models if any the part fit's, I have found it accurate so far & very handy, another tip I have found useful when searching for parts is to google the part number only including any dashes,no description,just the part number, It often will turn up the part on ebay or some website or other, you will need to sift through the hit's on online parts diagrams as most lead to a dead end :)   

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 07:54:24 pm »
http://www.partsfish.com/page/oem-parts-for-suzuki      I use this site for Honda parts compatability,they do all four jap brands along with online parts diagrams, type in the part number in the box in the green shaded area, it will tell you what other models if any the part fit's, I have found it accurate so far & very handy, another tip I have found useful when searching for parts is to google the part number only including any dashes,no description,just the part number, It often will turn up the part on ebay or some website or other, you will need to sift through the hit's on online parts diagrams as most lead to a dead end :)

The Internet goes with VMX, like Voltaron goes with old guys riding MX.