Author Topic: Spring tension on KLX throttle.  (Read 2245 times)

Offline PBMGold

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Spring tension on KLX throttle.
« on: April 29, 2016, 10:28:38 am »
A while back I fitted a side pull throttle (quarter turn) using just the 'Open' throttle cable and ditched the 'Closed' throttle cable. Actually when I bought the bike it only had the one cable.

I'm finding that the tension to turn the throttle after longer motos is becoming tiring. Sure, I could get fitter but I'd rather make the throttle less of a strain.

Can the external spring on the carb be removed and I'm assuming that there is a spring on the carb slide and hope that this would be sufficient for the slide to close when the throttle is closed.

Alternatively, wonder if it would be much effort to buy a new Mikuni and fit that. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Back in the day I had a Dellorto Pumper carby but it never was quite right and I was always bumming the intelligence of my more mechanically gifted mates. (nothing has changed in 30 years).

Somebody suggested a pumper carby from a new CR150 but I suspect that this would not be legal in EVO.

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Spring tension on KLX throttle.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 02:30:28 am »
There is no spring on the carb slide. I don't find the standard set up difficult and if you have put on a quick action throttle you've doubled the problem. I'd just return it to standard two cable.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:12:59 am »
I'm with Cloggy on this one. There is nothing wrong with the standard set up. It's light and works well. Mine has been the original set up since I bought the bike back in 82. Still going strong and with no issues on a slow throttle. There are several people selling NOS open and close cables on ebay. Not expensive either.
I have toyed with the idea of a new 1/4 turn throttle, single cable and Lectron carb. But too many other things to spend the money on at the moment.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline PBMGold

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 12:17:15 pm »
Reckon you guys are right. May have to investigate the Ebay sellers. I'm growing a right arm like a tennis player and everyone is teasing me that the massive muscle was caused by more devious means.