Author Topic: `82 XT550  (Read 2890 times)

beginbush

`82 XT550
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:45:05 am »
G`day,
Would anyone like to give their opinions on the `82 Yamaha XT550, good and bad?

I am starting to restore one and would like to know the pro`s and con`s. As I may be able to rectify any issues they may have. This bike will only be used for commuting and light dirt work - no real hard stuff.

Also, if anyone can help with a good parts supplier that would help also.

Cheers.

Re: `82 XT550
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 11:26:51 am »
i wanted one of those ever since spotting a bunch of young french guys setting off from fez in morocco across algeria etc on xt550's back in '82.  i eventually got one when back in australia and rode it up and down the east coast and trails everywhere in mid-late eighties.  they're a good bike overall, strong motor, reliable.  only thing lets them down is quite average suspension.  i remember swapping from the xt to a mate's sp370 and going faster - damping rates are crap on the xt but what the hell.  they're a great looking bike too...but heavy - steel tank and swingarm.

beginbush

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 03:43:20 pm »
Thanks Twistandshout,
I was after a little XT250 and a freind of a relative offered me this one. (for $800.00)
It looks great, looks like about a two year old bike. Well looked after. However I only NEED to do a couple of things like :new seals and oil in the front forks, new front, rear sprockets and chain and maybe a new rear tyre.

Although I will probably strip it down completely and clean, paint (the frame, chips) and check all internals. At the moment she runs well, sounds good and seems strong. So I`am off to a good start.

Thanks for your comments.

beginbush

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 09:36:28 am »
Thanks cyclegod,
I will be using some of those for sure. Especially Clarke! Great website.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 10:04:54 am »
some engine stuff is the same as in the 600's
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Tony T

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 10:58:44 pm »
Hey Beginbush
I've had a couple of these. For your intended use, they are great. Actually, talk to Evo550 if you think you want to get serious with one.  ;D
Mine have been stock except for a biiiig fuel tank. I've done trips on it and it has been totally reliable and economical.
Good luck with it and come back to me if you have any specific questions.

beginbush

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 10:18:19 pm »
Thanks Tony T,
The bike is pretty good right now, but I will be dissmantling anyway, as I want to clean and paint/powder coat stuff.

I may even have the engine blasted and/or re-painted. I want this bike to look like it has just rolled off the line. I`am also replacing all the fiddly bits that fit on, whether its levers, washers, cables and sprockets etc.

However, the bike will be kept as stock as possible, `cept for a large tank, (can you give me the heads-up on your tank or the availability of one) simular to yourself. I have to add, that, I love how the the motor works. I`ve had a lot of bikes (see Introductions, re: new bloke) and this seems to be a very nice little bike and thats why I want to spend a bit of time with it. Out of respect.

Cheers.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 09:45:09 am »
i found that tank for Tony on ebay. its a very rare Acerbis plastic one around 21 L i think. They were available in red and white. you can get new plastic ones from Clarke MFG but they are of stock capacity i believe.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Tony T

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 07:51:15 am »
LWC is right. The best tank is the 21 litre one specifically for this model. But trying to find one is next to impossible. I once bought a whole bike off eBay to get the tank only to find the tank was split when I got it here. Despite my specific questions about the tank...............  >:(
The Clarke tanks are readily available I think but are the same capacity as stock.
I have also fitted an Acerbis Africa tank to one of mine. 32 litres capacity and too big for general use I feel. If that's the sort of thing you want, it's for sale...............  ;)

beginbush

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 10:33:09 am »
Wow 32 liters. Thats a big tank. Maybe a bit big for me, although, how much would you want for it?
I think you may be able to message me personaly through here somehow.

I`ve emailed Clarke to see if they still have any of the larger tanks. I see that the have a "Universal Tank" @ on 14 liters, however its the 21 I really would like.

I just take my time and see if I can pick one up. I`ll post when Clarke gets back to me for forum info.

Tony T

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 12:50:04 pm »
The problem with universal tanks on the XT550 is the width of the frame backbone. With oil in the frame and the monshoch up there, there's not many other bikes that are as wide and not many universal tanks that fit. The Acerbis Africa fits but it makes riding difficult and you have to cut the seat at the front.