Author Topic: Help, carb won't fit... TM125  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Help, carb won't fit... TM125
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:31:36 pm »
OK, just tried to fit my nice new 34mm carb onto the TM125. But what's this? The carb float bowl fouls against the detent plug... What to do?

As far as I can see, it's always going to be tight, but the real problem is two small nubs on the bowl, which house the float mounting pins. One of these is the thing that hangs up on the detent plug. My question is, can I grind this down?

The nubs are shown below

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Help, carb won't fit... TM125
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:43:25 pm »
Grind away, but don't go too far. You can have a look how far I ground the nubs on the VM34 on the DT175 this weekend.
Common problem on YZ125Gs from the factory... Solution was to grind down the nubs.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Rosco400

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 09:45:53 pm »
Just drill a couple of holes in the crankcases ;D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 09:57:56 pm »
Thanks Nathan, I'll check it out. I reckon I only need to go down about halfway. The other option is a 15-20mm spacer between manifold and barrel, but I think that could be too long...

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 10:13:48 pm »
Greame I had to  die grind SO carefully a depression in some crank case tops once for the same reason, carby touching . It was a painfully slow and steady job . I only needed a tiny clearance to fit carby.  maybe put a tiny dab of silicone and let set on the nubs when finished,just in case it touches better to rub the plastic stuff than the carby. .
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.