Author Topic: Pre '65 Triumph 500  (Read 2431 times)

firko

Pre '65 Triumph 500
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:15:26 am »
Once again, Bob Neilson the guy I bought my B&S Suzuki from is selling another of his flock. Like the Redline, this one ain't pretty either but if you want a cheap and fairly competitive entry into the pre '65 class, this is it.  If you doubt me, check the prices on Triumph engines and Ceriani forks. PM me for Bobs details

Pre '65 class, 1961 Triumph T100, has Ceriani forks , Curnutt rear shocks, Wassel alloy tank, Bates seat. Wheels are stock Triumph rear hub and s Suzuki front both w/ Akront rims. Been in storage for 2 years, proven winner. Will help with shipping or possibel SoCal or AZ delivery. $2200 OBO
     Bob Neilson

Yamaboy

Re: Pre '65 Triumph 500
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:02:30 pm »
Groovy. She's an ugly old thing but it's cheap as chips and would come up pretty nice with a bit of tidy restoration. I had one of these on the street when I was a young bloke and they go pretty good.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:24:26 am »
if i had the spare cash i'd be on it like a shot!
love them old things. even if i don't really understand them.
"flat bickie"

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 04:07:31 pm »
how much dose it cost to have a bike sent from the usa

firko

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 04:57:01 pm »
About $1000

Quicksilver

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 05:02:32 pm »
About $1000

Who is that with Mark? I looked at bring over a bike and was told 3 to 3.5k

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 09:39:05 am »
$800 for transport, $65 in custom/Quarentine and then any obscure amount they feel like for Duty, it changes every time.  Depending on how you list it will in some ways define how much you pay on the declared value, Safe to say actual landed cost would be $1,000 to $1,500. ONly $800 is shipping, but you always get a surprise.   ON a bike a few months back i got charge Duty on transport in the US, yet the guy dropped it off and they made up a shipping amount all on there own and then Duty due on that.  Custom is a law unto themselves and the Forwarderd wont challenge them for fear of getting A container red flag, then the fees start to roll in, ever seen what thye charge for holding a container eeek.

IF you set aside 1 to 1.5 you will most definately have it sitting in your shed,  also dont forget transport cost from Qld docks to NSW
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 11:22:15 am »
Jeez Quicky, for 3-3.5 k you could fly over there, buy the bike, supervise the shipment and fly home with it! Jonesy and myself and many more folks on this forum and in the sport in general use Peter Leahy Custom Imports on the Gold Coast http://www.rolyleahycustomimports.com/  We've discussed this many a time on this forum but Freaky has set out the system pretty well. The actual shipping on my last bike was around $700 but customs fees and the ripoff quarantine cleaning fee and duty add on the extras.
You also have to factor in shipping from the sellers place to Long Beach, California and shipping from Labrador, Qld to your place. A good tip is to try and buy bikes situated in the West Coast states (California, Oregon, Washington state, Nevada, Utah, Arizona and Idaho) to save yourself a quid in domestic shipping. Sometimes that's easier said than done, my Cheney and Hindall both came from the East Coast and cost a fair bit to ship to Long Beach. Luckily my B&S was in Nevada and the seller delivered it to the shipper for $150.
Another tip is to ask the seller if he'd pallet the bike with the engine out or the wheels off (similar to my bike on the Boyd and Stellings thread) to avoid the need for a pink slip on the US end and an importers licence on this end. By bringing the bike in dismantled you are actually bringing in parts, not a complete bike therby avoiding the official paperwork. I think duty is cheaper as well.

firko

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 11:53:23 am »
I believe the Triumph is coming to Australia and no, it's not me or Jonesy. My bank balance is tapped out for the rest of the year.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 02:02:12 pm »
PLus a whole bike needs a IMport approval $50.

I used to bring in High performance cars from Japan before all the IMporters got into it and screwed the market and they went Raws.  Buying a bike from the US is a peice of piss, as Firko states after the first one you learn what not to do, you can save a shit load by doin gin write and by filling out the paper work a certian way.  However no matter what you do it will cost you at least  $900 in shipping, $200 US transport and probally the same here if you on the east coast.  I still think on average on the 10 or so US bikes i have brought out the figure is around $1500 by the time its in my garage.  IF you factor that in then you can easily tell if its a bargin or not.    I probally wouldnt wast your time on importing an also ran or general bike, the numbers are hard to stack up with a local.  BUT if you want somthing with the fruit, special and tasty you can only get it in the US for anywhere near a bargin.    I only ever look at bikes now that have chrom-mo frames or offer trick internals other wise you may as well be shopping at home.   ON the otherside some of the gear these boys fit as standard race kit is worth the investment price.     PVL,shell, webco seem to be standard on many US buys, Au stuff usually has the flogged out 30 yr old rewires.       

I agree with firko here, its easy to get carried away on a US bargin, but be warned $1500 to an also ran dont make it a bargin moreso risky, if its something unique, complete or special that the best place to be looking cause youll get more than you pay for.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff