Author Topic: New bloke thinking about XRs  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Tony Two Times

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
New bloke thinking about XRs
« on: January 13, 2016, 10:43:31 pm »
Just getting started so I don't know much but are 1980s XRs a viable VMX bike if they are stripped of road going gear and set up accordingly? Run in the 4 stroke class with XT/TTs and the like even though they are a bit younger than the 70's classics of those models?

Tony
#66 - Fat Snail Racing.

Offline Krikey

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: New bloke thinking about XRs
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 12:02:43 am »
Just getting started so I don't know much but are 1980s XRs a viable VMX bike if they are stripped of road going gear and set up accordingly? Run in the 4 stroke class with XT/TTs and the like even though they are a bit younger than the 70's classics of those models?

Tony

Plenty of fast four strokes around mate.  A well set up XT/TT HL Replica will keep you honest.  There's even a quick KLX with a hugely oversized XT250 motor running at the front of some races (most actually).  Personally I run an XR500 RC occasionally for MX and Vinduro. Great bikes, just love them, but a bit of a handful in the scrub BUT the reason I love it is because I associate with it. I had one back in 1982 and it started my love affair with them that still continues today. I say buy whatever takes your fancy as long as you can afford it. Cheers :)

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 10:13:28 pm »
Hey Tony, some years ago Firko wrote an article about the twin shock XR/XL's being a cheap and good 4 stroke VMX mount. But I thought you wanted a Panhead.

Offline Tony Two Times

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 11:32:51 pm »
There's space in the shed yet mate. :-)
#66 - Fat Snail Racing.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 08:14:43 am »
I've got a couple of 500's parked next to the pan.

Offline Tony Two Times

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 08:25:46 am »
Yeah I think that visit might be overdue.

Might see an ATK on the track this season?
#66 - Fat Snail Racing.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 02:30:32 pm »
My brother is selling a TT500 orange with aluminium tank, quite original..He is in guildford Sydney
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 05:13:18 pm »
.....the reason I love it is because I associate with it. I had one back in 1982 and it started my love affair with them that still continues today. I say buy whatever takes your fancy as long as you can afford it. Cheers :)

These are very wise words.
Especially on the internet, we get far too caught up with what is the "best", and then we often miss the real point of VMX: Having fun on bikes you like.

To answer your question:
The RFVC motors love to chew cams/can bearings in the heads, and to crack the heads. The older motors are more durable, but also weigh more and don't go as well. They also have too-short swingarms (to compensate for the lack of grunt from the big, heavy donk) which makes them handle funny.
Yes, they can work, but only in a sow's ear kind of way.

That said, there was some bloke at the National Titles on an XR500 a few years ago, running in the top three and making a lot of good riders look silly.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.