Author Topic: One for Dodgee  (Read 5956 times)

Doc

Re: One for Dodgee
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 05:10:27 pm »
thanks Shane, never a shame to get them dirty ;D but it would be a shame not to ride it ;)

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 05:42:51 pm »
very nice doc you set great standards for us all to follow

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 05:58:17 pm »
Doc, I love your work! I had a brand spanker one of those back in the day (from Springwood Suzuki for the Brissos) and it didn't look any better than yours.
You did that for under $1000?? ??? :o 8)
Do you vote Labour? Would you consider a position as Treasurer? We need someone at the top with your smarts, diligence and attention to detail!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Doc

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 06:54:33 pm »
Thanks Wombat/CRS but pics can be a little deceptive. It is quite tidy alright but far from show condition or a full blown resto. $2 a can paint for the frame,tank, guards,engine etc and mechanically it should ride nicely so yeah, pretty happy with it as it sits  :) the bike was $350, forks and clamps $100, $50 CDI, new swingarm/wheel bearings/new cables and other incidentals add another couple of hundred or so. The motor has a new bottom end, new top end and new bearings and seals throughout which comes to another 3 or so hundred (the shop work with the crank was done very cheaply thanks to Dodgee) then the tyres, chain, oils, plug etc suck up the balance of the $1000. Bottom line is though it was built for a grand which was the figure I had in mind from the beginning. I could have built it sooner if I'd thrown wads of money at it but that defeats the whole purpose and lotto still eludes me. I just hope it goes okay, I like to test ride first but times simply not going to allow it  :P  ::)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:57:21 pm by Doc »

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 07:10:36 pm »
You have 20 minutes to sort it out on Saturday morning in practice , or has that been shortened some what  ;D   

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 07:13:39 pm »
i bought a b when they were just out in 77 trail rode it for 2 years then raced it in 79 was a great bike ive allways loves the look of the b better than any other rm  wish i still had it been looking for one now for a few years

Doc

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 07:47:50 pm »
another good reason to build one crs ;) this one is actually a 125A frame,A swingarm and tank, C seat with T model cover cause it was cheap. MCS rear guard and the inner was a broken item just cut off under the seat. The front guard was used and has a bit of a whoop in it. Covers were originally red! came from Thailand so i just painted them to match everything else. Incidently the rear guard was red too and I had a red front guard so I could have built a Red RM if I simply painted the fuel tank. I did a photoshop image in red and looked and it just didn't do anything for me so yellow it was. Airbox is 125C with TM250 unifilter element. Forks and triples are PE250. Front wheel is 125B, rear is TS185, brake stay arm KH125 kawa, shocks are 400C, motor is a 125C, pipe 125A, muffler RG250, and that about rounds it off..a real bitsa and 100% pre'78 legal ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:53:40 pm by Doc »

firko

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 08:14:38 pm »
I'll say it again Doc..You never cease to amaze me with what you can do with a bucket full of second hand parts, a shifter and a $2 can of yellow paint! Nice little "pea shooter" matey.

B.T.W. Doc....I reckon you'll just love my RH lookalike Honcho Blowfly class racer. I picked up a factory race kit top end the other day for $30 US!  I'm getting more jollies building it than the Cheney at the moment!

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 08:22:23 pm »
 still a nice looking bike doc im thinking about trying to find my old b  i sold it to a mates brother havent seen the mate since i move from sydney to the central coast  but  five years lol , but the family allways kept every thing the back yard was fuul of old cars ect they had a huge shed that was full to so ive been looking for my mate but havent found him yet worth a try i think

Doc

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 10:20:39 pm »
eh Firko, it could be done with near any of the jap marques from the same era as you'd know but it just happens I collected all the bits for the yellow ones that John West had once rejected ;D need is the muther of all creation, cash helps but it isn't the be all and end all and the sense of accomplishment I don't think would be the same...I'd like to try it sometime though!! tonights lotto failed miserably so maybe next week ;) I look forward to seeing the Honcho in all it's glory. Off the record, to give you an idea of how much you have upset TMWilliam (and many many others no doubt) with the boring little peashooter RM125S/M remark, imagine if someone said that about your little factory Honcho!! :o perish the thought!! :D :D can you also post your Suzuki footpeg for visual verificaton in regards to your application for inclusion into the Suzuki Tragics Establishment ;) where is the Institute and Big Loz by the way? I for one did not mean any offence but I HATE secrets!! ESPECIALLY when I don't know what they are!! ::) cruel...:D Loz..where you be??

crs, they keep everything eh..hmmm..sounds a bit like me but I try to keep it all undercover rather than in the yard. I respect my junk  :D good luck in your quest  8)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:28:40 pm by Doc »

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 11:25:14 am »
Mark,  I'm getting sucked into the Suzuki thing too, maimly cos I found a couple of cheapies (TS's) locally. I love those little RM M/Ss too. Looked like the unobtainium RHs to me. Have to agree w TMBill. They were a pretty significant model. Just love the looks & they were everywhere in the day. Always regret I never got to ride one. Were a couple of lovely ones at CD5.

Love the 125 B model too. Rode a mates plenty back in 77, but never raced it. Absolutely loved it. Made YZ125D (which I did race) look/feel pedestrian. Now I've upset the Yam guys! Sorry fellas. Love plenty of them too!

Yamaboy

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 01:53:38 pm »
I had a peek at Firkos TS90 the other day and it does indeed look trick. It's also pretty impressed by what he can do with a basic piece of shit. He's got the ability to find cheap stuff and make it all look deluxe. The $100 TM 250 Suzuki appears to be getting a makeover as well. The big fella's even got a Doc sized guy to ride the TS90. He's a Pommy vintage racer who has moved here to work in the aircraft industry. He raced a Cheney B44 or something or other in the UK. Firko found him in the pub of all places. ;D