Author Topic: Swing arm question  (Read 2851 times)

Offline vlxk

• Novice
    • View Profile
Swing arm question
« on: October 28, 2015, 12:51:48 am »
While waiting to receive a new pair of shocks to replace the blown Boges, I noticed a bit of side to side play in the swing arm at the pivot bolt. During the original rebuild I replaced the pivot bearings with genuine Suzuki parts. The chain buffer is new as well.

Since the OE bearings apparently didn't fix the issue (there was no play when I torqued the bolt on the original build), I searched and found a pair of bronze bushings with the correct ID for the spacers although the OD was slightly larger. Turns out the bore for the bearings is a bit worn and I was able to get the bushings to fit with just a little persuasion. The bushings are 2mm longer than the OE bearings. I pressed the bushings in and allowed a slight bit of space from the end of the bore (bushing pressed in to about 1mm from the end of the bore), the bushings do not protrude from the bore.

So I get everything lined up, torque the nut to 45ftpds as per the Clymer manual (37-50) and the swing arm is very difficult to move through its travel, no shocks attached. I removed and went through the installation process two more times taking care to make sure everything was seated as it should be and still as the torque value goes up the force required to move the arm goes way up.

Currently I have the nut set at about 40lbs and there is some resistance, that is just inside the recommended torque value but I am concerned with the resistance in movement.

What do you fellers think?

RM250C2
Never take a laxative and sleeping pill at the same time

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Swing arm question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 08:51:21 am »
I always tighten the nut until the swingarm will just hold itself up or just fall slowly

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:15:41 pm »
What bike is vixk?

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 09:18:55 pm »
If its the C2 have you got the dust seals with thrust washers that sit over the end?

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 09:56:52 pm »
Sounds to me like its binding on the thrust washers too much which means the inner spacers are worn. If the inner spacers are the correct length and protrude through the bearings/bushes the correct amount, there is a point where no matter how tight you do pivot bolt up it should not bind up the swingarm if everything is the correct dimension.  Check thickness of thrust washers & length of all 3 inner spacers and compare them to new parts.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline vlxk

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 12:53:38 am »
Thanks, I'll check the overall length of the spacers!

I didn't think of that.

Suzuki27, Yes, I have the thrust washers and dust seals in place along with a new chain buffer.

Thanks again guys.
RM250C2
Never take a laxative and sleeping pill at the same time

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 03:10:43 pm »
LWC82PE has it in spades, If all the parts are serviceable you should be able to torque the swing arm axle bolt nut to spec and the swingarm should rotate on its fulcrum smooth and free with no (very little - check tolerance for specific make and model) lateral play in the arm.

If you try to get the swingarm to move free by  split pinning the axle bolt nut at a value less than spec so that the bolt is not compressing the spacer pack, you will wind up with premature wear on the frame gussets where the bolt passes through. Everytime the bolt is allowed to hammer the frame the hole elongates and wear occurs on the shaft as well which compounds the effect.

Use the correct spacers and shims and adhere to the torque settings specified without doubt.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 09:22:53 pm »
With the non oem bushings it sounds like you're getting some binding. Maybe a case of reducing the length of the bushings or the spacer that sits between them. As LCW said it's a case of measuring the eom parts and comparing them.