Author Topic: New  (Read 2396 times)

Offline DavidR

• Novice
    • View Profile
New
« on: November 05, 2015, 09:18:00 pm »
Hi to everyone, I'm new to this forum, used to race MX in SE Qld in the late 70s early 80s, too old to ride dirt bikes now but still love the bikes of that era. Heading to Mountain Man this weekend for it's 40th birthday, bikes and riders from the past will be there even doing a few laps, should be great. I'm also trying to restore a RM250X so I will be firing some questions at those with a better memory than me, I also need some advice on a few things, I'll make a list and return, Cheers, Dave

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 09:52:47 pm »
welcome dave
you will get the bike sorted here for sure
why dont you give dirt track a go its not as bad on the body as mx
jim

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 09:59:51 pm »
G'day Dave, are you still around seq? The clubs here have tracks that are very vintage friendly and practice days if you want to test the waters.

Offline DavidR

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 07:37:49 pm »
Thanks Jim & Paul, I am still in SE Qld, I might give it a go when the bike is ready.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 11:51:26 pm »
Welcome aboard.
Put "Classic Dirt" in your calendar.
Connondale, Sunshine Coast hinterland.
Non competitive. Great event. Even if you don't ride. (But I'd suggest a few laps on your 250X would be in order. I turned up this year with my fresh 125X, which turned out to need a lot more "fine tuning" - still a work in progress)
Lots of old bikes and like minded individuals.

Offline Slow Pete

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 03:17:58 pm »
Hi Dave,    I have been on here for almost 12 months after a lengthy break from the sport.    I also have a RM250X I raced it this year [well I rode around while the others raced] and have just stripped it down to complete the restoration.   Parts are hard to find here in WA but hopefully you will have more success,  there is also a story about a 250X restoration in the next issue of VMX magazine due out early next year,  so make sure you get a copy.   You will also be surprised how many parts Suzuki can supply,  so far i have been able to get all the seal / bearings etc,  it just the big things they don't have.    Use Alpha Sports or someone like that to find part numbers. 

Pete
Past owner of.  Bultaco 125,  Suzuki RM250A, RM125C, RM125T, RM400N, RM125X, Maico AW250 1977.   Presently 81 RM250X , 87 RM125H , 86 RM250G & 81 RM125X.   Current projects 80 RM400T & 78 RM125C

Offline DavidR

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 05:12:49 pm »
Thanks for the info Skypig, I'll be getting the next VMX mag. Pete, should be a good read, who makes the best after market plastics, some I've seen are bright yellow not the cacky yellow as standard?