Author Topic: Victoria adopts ECE helmet ratings  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria adopts ECE helmet ratings
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 12:59:42 pm »
Is this for Only Road Use Tex or Competition as well

MA would have to adopt for competition use wouldn't they?

Those are good questions, and I don't know the answers!

Tex

IMHO, it will be an outcome in the name of improved rider safety if MA move to adopt these other certifications,
given that they not only meet but exceed our AS1698 safety standard.

Copied from this link if anyone is interested Helmet Road Rules from Motorcycle Council Of NSW inc. 
European helmets are lighter to reduce neck injury and basilar skull fracture, have excellent impact attenuation, greater test coverage area and a very sound certification process.
Japanese helmets are virtually identical to Australian, but with better impact attenuation (more restricted pulse width) and the most robust certification process of any.
US "DOT" helmets are almost the same as Australian, but with better impact attenuation (more restricted pulse width) and a certification process that places responsibility on the manufacturer (or importer) for compliance. Their recall system is regularly used, in market surveillance testing by NHTSA, backed by a legal system that punishes manufacturers who transgress.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:01:23 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria adopts ECE helmet ratings
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 06:46:30 pm »
Ok, I have been reading this thread with interest and up until now I didn't have anything worthwhile to add to the discussion.

The way I see it, if anybody happens to be fined for a tinted visor (and I got a tinted visor in the box with my (expensive) Arai adventure lid) then to my way of thinking, the person or company who sold this to me should be held liable for any or all costs that come my way because of legalities. Afterall, I purchased the lid in Australia and so therefore should expect that everything I am sold is manufactured to be within or better than our regulations.

And, slightly off the point, what if I wear UV rated sunnies under my helmet when I ride. Is that legal?

I never ever buy cheap helmets. My head aint worth that much but I'd be stuffed without the use of what is left of it so I buy the best I can. Point is, I can't see other countries having any less regard for their motorcycling public than Australia does by allowing inferior helmets to be used.......

And no folks, I'm not talking about asia!
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.