Author Topic: Repairing Yamaha TT 600 Dual carb manifolds  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Krikey

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Repairing Yamaha TT 600 Dual carb manifolds
« on: June 14, 2016, 06:31:30 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences on how to reglue the alloy inner to the rubber outer on the dual carb intake manifolds.  Seems they separate over time.

The rubber is still flexible so would seem to be okay for re-use.

Can they be reglued or do I need new ones?

Thanks

Offline Flipper

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Repairing Yamaha TT 600 Dual carb manifolds
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 09:01:14 pm »
You would probably be better off replacing them with some OEM or aftermarket ones off ebay. No need to worry about potential leaks that way.
I replaced mine a few years back and have not had any issues since.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:37:54 am »
While I agree with Flipper, it's also inevitable that the new ones will separate sooner or later.

I reckon some Sikaflex or similar urethane "silastic" would probably work well. Usual rules would apply: makes sure it's spotlessly clean first, and give it enough time to dry properly.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 08:54:29 am »
+1 with the Sikaflex, but ultimately you should get new ones now and not wait till 3 years down the track when you really need them and they are $200 each or something silly.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline tymes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 11:20:41 am »
I got some off ebay from the uk for a reasonable price for my 600.

China are even copying them now at a bargain price:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carburetor-Intake-Manifold-Interface-Glue-Fits-Yamaha-TT600-84-89-TTR600-93-97-/281894209019?hash=item41a23445fb:g:yagAAOSwnFZXVwBz

I had the same problem with my 350, the sikaflex did work but I knew it was only a temp fix.

I also tried machinig a good edge on a couple of the aluminium inserts I had and replaced the rubbers with a couple of pieces of radiator hose clamped on with a couple of stainless muffler wrap ties.There wasnt much aluminium to work with but in the end I got a couple of new ones for it as well.

At the end of the long story It was easier to get new ones.

and one thing I always make sure to lever the carbs out of the manifolds and not pull them out so as not to encourage them to come apart.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:55:51 am by tymes »

Offline davidh

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 11:59:07 am »
I repaired tt250 dual manifolds with black sikaflex either their marine or automotive ( can't remember which one ) I've only done about 3 hrs on it since so don't know the long term but so far ok will have to keep an eye on it .

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 02:02:06 pm »
better to replace the manifolds as anything else is a patch job youd only do if you was out bush 300 km away from anywhere. lean motors do all sorts of nasty things like oxy torch exhaust valves then your up for more costs as well as the manifolds you should have replaced anyway. prevention is better then cure ;)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 05:27:33 pm »
Just before Christmas, I replaced both of the manifolds on my 1987 XT250, which had separated. From memory the genuine Yamaha parts were about $80 each, which I consider to be reasonabe. I have also had to replace the manifolds on my 83 Tenere as well and also fitted genuine new ones. I worried that if I repaired them, that I would probably just f#*k up again while trying to refit the carbies, which is one of the biggest pricks of a job on these twin carb Yamaha.
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!