Author Topic: Aluminium Swingarm Repair  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Aluminium Swingarm Repair
« on: July 12, 2015, 02:16:20 pm »
Just would like to know if a heat treatment is necessary after repair of aluminium swingrarm. I had shock absorber lugs repaired and bolt holes filled on 1980 RM 125 swing arm. Right lugs was fully rewelded and left lug had a cracked weld repaired(Properly weld preped and profesionaly tig welded). Is a heat treatment necessary or will it hold ok as it is. I know that these swingarm were originaly mig welded but I dont know about heat treatment. Thank you for your help and ideas.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Aluminium Swingarm Repair
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 02:47:47 pm »
Interesting info here
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/Vintage-Aluminum-Swingarm-Question,1122127

Tydog, I'm not sure what education backround he had but his dad owned a bike shop in the 70's and he was in the Navy as a SeaBee. LOL Tosh from Suzuki brought over some Engineers from Suzuki Japan and Richard asked that question about the stock aluminum swing arms and how they were heat treated, they replied they used heat treated aluminium so they didn't need to be reheat treated. I know for a fact that Richard would rejig the arms 1/2 way thru the heat treated process and CrossUp didn't. The alunminum from Japan had a different heat treat to them than Richard, to all my knowledge all his arms were made from 6061 and were heat treated to T-6.

perhaps the Suzuki ones were not heat treated. May have also been lost in translation though.

I got a couple non suzuki ones that need some welding and i am going to get them heat treated.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 10:39:20 pm »
Don't know how Suzuki could have made their swingarms with out heat treating them.
The extruded arms are usually bent inwards at the front as the pivot is narrower than the axle end. If you try to bend 6061 while it is in T6 state then it will most likely crack at the bend.

The banana arms that I build for my HL's have the extruded sections annealed to T0 so they can be bent then taken back to T6 after welding is finished.
Quite often though there is so much welding in an arm that the heat from the weld will take it out of the T6 state anyway.

To answer Tomas question, if there was only light heat that went into the arm then it will probably be allright. The heat effected zone of the weld won't be in the T6 state but if it is only in a small area and not through the whole section of the arm then it will only be a minor compromise. You can usually fill bolt holes and small cracks without drama.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 09:38:29 am »
Thank you GMC. That  is a great info. The bike is not going to be raced so no big jumps or heavy landings. I was more worried about the side where the shock absorber  lug was fully rewelded.  Thanks a lot.