Author Topic: Cr500 clutch issues. A testicle question  (Read 3504 times)

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
Cr500 clutch issues. A testicle question
« on: July 04, 2015, 05:56:48 pm »
So why would a clutch when slipped at the start ( third gear ), would it then have a lot of free play instantly?
So you readjust ( quite a lot ) while circulating, then when it cools down you have to adjust it back down ( not enough free play ).
I have a second identical cr500 that plays the game quite well so I swapped the whole clutch assy except for the push rod, hat and ball bearing. You guessed it, it's still doing the same thing.
 So something is expanding right? The push rod? The ball bearing?

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Cr500 clutch issues. A testicle question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 06:56:55 pm »
mine did a similar thing Bradman, could never get the free play right, not a period correct fix but i fitted a Magura Hydraulic clutch and that solved it, it also made for a better feel.

sorry don't know what the issue is but the expanding theory sounds about right. the same post to cr500riders forum may produce an answer or one of the faceybook pages
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 06:58:44 pm by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 02:59:25 pm »
Got me scratchin the noggin..... are you running the same oil in both bikes? Does the trouble bike run hotter than the other?
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 03:36:43 pm »
Plates are swelling when you abuse them off the line, when they cool back down the freeplay disappears

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 05:20:48 pm »
Plates are swelling when you abuse them off the line, when they cool back down the freeplay disappears
Clutch plates swelling makes the clutch slip, therefore no free play. Mine goes the other way. Big free play until it cools down.

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 06:36:16 pm »
I dont know the set up on the CR 500 (what year?) but the clutch swelling could move the pressure plate away from the push rod if it is actuated from the opposite side to the clutch,
Xt 500 Yamaha does this after a few third gear dirt track starts

Possible distortion of pressure plate?
Why one and not the other no idea!
not much help :o
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:41:31 pm by Noel »

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 05:01:41 am »
after having a discussion and being told what is happening it is now crystal clear that you are 100% correct Tony. The plates swelling is giving the clutch more free play. I had it completely arse about face. Looks like I need some better plates. Cheers.