Author Topic: Indian made replica fuel tanks  (Read 3712 times)

Offline YZmoneypit

• Novice
  • Yz259f, tt500d BMCC Member
    • View Profile
Indian made replica fuel tanks
« on: May 01, 2015, 06:58:47 pm »
Has anyone bought/tried the replica fuel tanks from India that are on eBay? I'm interested in the opinions of those with experience of them. I want to keep my original TT500D tank in good order and second hand tanks for use on a track bike seem scarce. Thoughts anyone? Ta, Peter

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Indian made replica fuel tanks
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 08:05:07 pm »
Fitted one to a Goldstar once and it was ok, no major dramas at all. Got it bare and then chromed it. But i will say if you want perfection then stick to original stuff. Look at them same was as DC plastics. Good for a rider/racer and requires tweaking to get the stuff to fit right. A lot of that repro stuff is ok/passable quite often may require some slight mods/adjustments etc to get it just right. They may be improving things now and getting better? If you have the choice get it bare/unpainted as you probably wont be happy if its painted and will want to do it again. Everything painted i have seen from India has been crap
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline YZmoneypit

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 08:41:27 pm »
Thanks LWC82PE. I only want a race bike tank so some adjustments and paint will be fine. I appreciate your feedback.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 09:56:42 am »
Everything painted i have seen from India has been crap

Well, nearly everything... 8)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRQKbwRvvTw
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 12:40:24 pm »
From memory the only issue i had with the BSA tank was that the mounting surface where the threaded insert for the tank breather banjo bolt is near the filler cap was not perfectly flat and the banjo breather pipe sat a bit cocked to the side and so we got it milled flat/square. It was more the case of the owner being very picky though and it was not a total disaster. I have heard some stories of bare tanks comming over by sea mail and by the time they get here they are pretty rusty but that was a dealer bringing a lot into AU  in a container. If you just get one for yourself via airmail i dont think that would be an issue.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline YZmoneypit

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 06:28:45 pm »
Hi guys. Following up on Indian tanks FYI...

I bought an Indian made steel tank for a 77 Yammie thumper. It was 11 days from when I paid to when it left New Dehli but only a few days after that till it was at my door. It arrived within the timeline estimated on the eBay site and cost me $297 Au at my door. They also included a funny little chromed metal cap and an Indian made petcock for no extra.

If I had made it with a hammer and some formers I'd be very proud of myself. Given the hand made nature of it they did a good job. Having said that... There is no way they come ready to paint unless you want a textured surface. I spent an age with emery cloth straight on the steel, then days of priming, filling and sanding to get to a surface I am happy to paint. The opening at the front of the tank was way too wide on the right side allowing the fork to bump the tank and the two legs that bolt the front of the tank to the frame are not properly aligned. I have managed to straighten and bend it all into shape and it will look fine when finished but this is not a quick alternative if an original is available.

Hope that might help someone thinking of doing similar. Cheers!

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 10:37:56 am »
For a race tank http://justgastanks.com/index.php?cPath=4_42_192 one of these would be the go. Although doesn't have the original look.

For the price of the Indian ones you should be able to pick up a stocker. I bought an alloy TT tank at Gatton a couple of years back for $150 the seller knew what it was worth but just wanted it gone. I also picked up another alloy tank from The bike boneyard in Montana for $80 U.S. plus postage. I know they want stupid prices on ebay, but there still are some bargains out there if you hunt.