Author Topic: it465h rebuild  (Read 6060 times)

Offline Tomthesparky

• Novice
    • View Profile
it465h rebuild
« on: April 24, 2017, 12:48:14 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks for having me, now time to pick some brains about this old monster. Bought it recently and she is a bit rough but complete, looking at bringing her back to her former glory. This will not be a showroom piece nor a complete original, just a good rider. Plans so far are repair the frame loop, the cracked crankcase, plus replace a 5th gear and freshen up the motor.
 realise thus is useless without photos and will post some as soon as i figure it out

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: it465h rebuild
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 05:26:54 pm »
methodical process is all you need from here. bag and label everything....carefully. photograph everything, especially wiring + cable positions etc. see if you can get a parts manual online. print it off for the workshop. is invaluable for sorting what bolts went where.

then once the frame is bare, decide on your cover..powdercoat or paint. then get the repairs done and then prep it for a new coat of glistening whatever. ;) powdercoat needs to be grease free, spray degreaser up all the little frame drain holes and pressure wash carefully other wise it melts when coating and poohs the job. also, cover threads and put dummy bolts in threaded holes etc as the PC fills them up. painting is self explanatory.

make a list of parts then start shopping. dont put anything back on the frame till your happy its right for combat.

I would go buy a box of 6mm and 8mm nylock nuts and get all the bolts that are still serviceable plated.

as your making a rider, find a "how to prep the 465 for enduro riding" article and follow the tips. obvious things but essentials are new tyres, new chain and sprockets (unless they are in good shape) and new brake shoes.

Wheels, are the spokes tight and the rims ok? wire brush the inside of the rim back and run 3 or 4 turns of duct tape in the spoke well. cut out the rim lock and valve holes. I file the valve hole a bit so the valve can creep around a fair bit and not be pulled out of the tube.
Get the shocker serviced and dismantle and clean the forks before giving them a new set of seals and oils. wheel bearings front and back. get good ones not cheap ones. flick the plastic seal off one side and pack with waterproof grease. pop the seal back on. oil the cables (or fit new ones ) grease the lever pivots and clean and grease the backing plate pivots on the brakes.
strip the motor to repair the damage but also fit new engine seals at a minimum. match the transfer ports in the cases to the barrel, open the transfers out to the gasket line on the barrel and clean up any daggy bits in the ports. assess the top end for serviceable parts. if your lucky, a light hone and a new set of rings might be the go.

look at shrinkfit tube over your electrical wiring from the stator to the backbone. get a new spark plug cap.

everything else should be straight forward refitting.
check your reeds for cracks and splits, I recommend boyesons if you can find some. the 465 can be a bit brutal in the power delivery and these can help smooth the bottom to mid / top transition.

check the inlet manifold for cracking and splitting. look carefully, they can split along a seam. consider a new carb if the old one looks worn out. nothing harder than jetting a leaky carb.

get the exhaust de dinged and straightened and make sure the muffler is freshly packed.

chuck the old plastics on and hit the track!

Offline Tomthesparky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 08:20:39 pm »

As promised a picture of the start of the project, not really sure if i can re-use the old plastics, apart from the tank and the RHS sidecover nothing else is restorable.

Begin by stripping the head and barrel off (no Photos) piston is 1mm O/S however measurement of the bore shows it is undersize for that, thinking some tightwad bored it for a used piston.

Onward to splitting the cases
Crank seems good, main bearings have no markings and appear to have areas where the seals have been removed, definitely not C3 these will be tossed, gearbox bearings seem ok except for the selector drum bearing which is tight from sitting in water in the crankcase, think i will toss the lot to be sure.
 Gearbox looks good except for 5th pinion
 Not sure what happened here as the output shaft gears are all good.

That should be enough for now, more progress to come (slowly)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:59:15 pm »
if you ride it, you don't want restored plastics..first muddy ride on a sandy granite track will remove any shiny surfaces you have painstakingly made in seconds flat :o as long as they arnt broken and can fall off, use whats there. put some new yellow contact on the side covers and headlight. look for good plastics and put them in a box till its time to sell / put it n the pool room. that's my suggestion...it will look like pooh but when yr stuck in a huge boghole,...it wont seem important ;D

Offline Tomthesparky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 06:56:20 pm »
Thanks to Bell Moto and Lozza for their reply's on repairing the damaged cases in the tech section, will be getting them in to be repaired as soon as i can get the time to drop them off.

Figured if i could get a rigid flat surface to bolt the cases to i could minimize the chance of warping

That should do the trick i hope

And no i did not drill the holes they are a witness to previous peoples attempt at "repair" using epoxy and wire by the looks of it.

Anyone out there know of good replacement sections for IT465 pipes? The lower section on this one is held together by muffler bandage and hope.

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 08:38:53 pm »
Have a look at Musket Mufflers in Inzid. I expect they will have one.. You will need to have the engine complete and in the frame to make it fit.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 10:47:01 pm »
gmc will sort your pipe if your in vic

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 10:17:28 am »
If Musket won't send you there header pipe repair section let me know, they were bought out by a local exhaust company & moved from New Plymouth to the building behind their shop which is just up the road from me.
I can order it through a dealer if they won't go direct & send it over for you

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 06:46:10 pm »

Offline Tomthesparky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 06:49:03 pm »
Well figured i should add some updates to this thread, the cases are currently away getting welded up and i hopefully should have them back in a couple of weeks thanks again Bell Moto for the advice.

Also thanks to the very generous assistance of XL59 i now have a replacement 5th gear.

Now onto the frame, it looks like the swingarm bolt has been seized in at some point in the bikes life

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg575/Tomthesparky/WP_20170528_001_zpsjljunw29.jpg

And when they hammered it out the frame ended up a little tweaked as a result. Any advice on the measurements from the string line which is running from the centre of the spine tube to the centre of the bottom cross rail? or should they just be equal?

Also stripped off the tire on the front rim and found this little suprise

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg575/Tomthesparky/WP_20170528_002_zpseygorwer.jpg

So will be getting a new front rim >:( Since i am already doing the front is it worth upgrading to an 18" on the back? keeps it all matching i guess

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 07:31:56 pm »
there are17" tyres about but a greater range of tyres is supposedly available with 18" Can you just weld the front rim up? husky rims always crack but not right thru. lots of punters run them with no probs...

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 09:46:11 pm »
I guess it depends on how many 30 foot jumps you intend landing on the crack.

Offline Tomthesparky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 12:05:00 pm »
Hi Guys,

Bit of a thread dig as progress has slowed on the old girl significantly.

I am currently relacing the rims and converting the rear to 18" (sacrilege i know but i intend her to be a rider, keeping all the old spokes and rim etc). Since i have gone this far i believe i should repaint the hubs and headstock.

Can anybody recommend a good paint match for these parts or do i just go ahead and paint them the same Blue i was going to paint the frame (or yellow?)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 04:41:33 pm »
polished alloy or flat (satin) black is the go