Author Topic: Honda CR 250M gearbox  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Kev

• Novice
    • View Profile
Honda CR 250M gearbox
« on: June 04, 2015, 12:35:22 am »
Hi all
I have a 74 CR 250 that has a suspect gear box. I have taken the clutch case off and can select gears while watching the selector pawl on the selector drum. Is it normal in a static situation to not grab all the gears ? Just wondering if the gears need to be rotating to make the gear selection. I would think that I should be able to select the gears by moving the gear lever and get all gears but I could be wrong. This gearbox only grabs a gear up or down after that the selector arm does not move far enough to grab the next pin in the selector drum.

Kev

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: Honda CR 250M gearbox
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 11:18:52 am »
Kev, yeah,sometimes you need to spin the shafts to get them shifting,usually then dogs will all line up ,& shift up/down,hold bit of tension on gearlever,& rotate a shaft,then you will find drops into a gear,pretty normal static on the "bench situation",but if your'e experiencing shift probs when riding (your sus box query),the above might not show up worn/bent shift forks,so really you should split cases & have a sticky,cheers :P
ps sorta remember bitd ::),3rd was a problem on early CR's??
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:21:12 am by matcho mick »
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Kev

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 10:09:10 am »
Thanks Mick, that's what I was hoping. I have very little experience mechanically so I'm trying to avoid splitting the cases.

Offline Kev

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 11:00:17 am »
Ok I attached a drill and socket to rotate the main shaft and while spinning that I then held pressure on the gear lever and all gears were selectable. Thanks for the tip.