Author Topic: Boge Mullholland shocks  (Read 2916 times)

Offline vlxk

• Novice
    • View Profile
Boge Mullholland shocks
« on: January 21, 2015, 01:30:42 am »
A salvage yard I deal with has a 250C2. About all that's left of it is the frame, suspension, and lower end. The engine is probably ruined, it has been sitting outside for who knows how many years with the cylinder off and the oil fill plug missing. The forks look to be in decent shape with no rust on the tubes to speak of.

It has a pair of Boge shocks with the aluminum fins on the body. The shafts are pretty rust though. I can get them for $40-$50 US. I have looked around on the interweb and can find specs and part numbers for the shorter length shocks but nothing on the longer ones like the RMs require.

Anyone know of replacement parts and rebuild specs availability? I had a pair of Boge shocks and a MISI swingarm on the TM100 I had as a kid. These would be kind of nostalgic :)

On another note, are there any other options for a chain guide/tensioner for the C2 other than stock?

Thanks,
RM250C2
Never take a laxative and sleeping pill at the same time

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Boge Mullholland shocks
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:36:59 am »
http://www.thejunkmanadv.com/boge-mulholland-shocks-info.html

SFA  info on Boge  Mulholland stuff and even less parts lying around.

Are a few bits that pop up on US ebay from time to time.

What your after is LTG MX shocks. Besides the oil ones, there are two styles in the Long travel Gas. one with long fins and the short fins

i tripped over a NOS pair last year.

good luck finding them  or parts.

Offline vlxk

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Boge Mullholland shocks
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 12:27:50 am »
Good morning everyone, and happy first day of Spring (here in the lower 48 anyway!)

A quick update on the Boge shocks. In a moment of nostalgia and weakness I bought the pair of shocks from the salvage yard. Got them home and disassembled.  :) One was decent, still had a small amount of oil (sludge) in the body. The other one though was dry on the inside and several of the parts were rusted together :(. I dunked the parts into some WD-40 rust eater stuff I have and left them over night. The parts came out better but not in any usable condition.

Back into the solution and over night again. I was able to get the compression valving apart with only one broken screw! And I found a replacement in my bolt bin! Got the rebound valving apart so I have the rusted/pitted shaft all by itself.

I found Adams Vintage Racing in Logan Utah on the interweb. Contacted Terry there and he assured me he could reproduce the shaft at a reasonable cost. Things are looking up. :) I mailed the shaft to him yesterday, he said 7-10 day turn around.

I also found a blog that had a Boge rebuild although not the LTG like I have. The guy replaced the seals in the top nuts with double lip seals from NAPA. I am currently searching for seals, 12x25x8 or 10. After that all I will need to the rubber bottoming pads on the shafts.

I still have not found any oil capacity specs for the LTG series shocks, but I have watched several Youtube videos about rebuilding race shocks and it seems just getting the oil level high enogh so as to not have air in the body is the key. I guess I will just have to experiment.

I know there are better components available, but these shocks were popular when I was racing as a youngster. On my RM250A (long story about that one), I used either a set of Works or Fox (not air), I don't remember which. I have pictures of the bike with them installed. I just remember the springs were white and blue. Oh well.

Sorry for the long post but I'm excited about making some progress. Today the left side crank bearing is going in and hopefully get the cases back together!

RM250C2
Never take a laxative and sleeping pill at the same time