Author Topic: best product for spigot carbies  (Read 3395 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
best product for spigot carbies
« on: December 09, 2014, 03:13:19 pm »
have 3 bikes that need new rubbers for spigot mount carbs what is the best stuff to use
2 x 32mm carbs triumph
2 x 38 mm carbs tt500 and bultaco astro
thanks

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: best product for spigot carbies
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:39:13 pm »
wonder if radiator hose would suffice?,or that trick coloured slicon stuff for moderns (bikes), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 10:50:44 pm »
 Mick is on track with that" trick coloured silicon (tube?) stuff for moderns (bikes)" It does come in gloss and matte black tubes marked suitable for fuels of various sizes in your local speedshop. Usually around the aftermarket turbo and air-filter section , is methanol resistant too. Have made a set of spigot manifold joints for a 754 from it . Tim754
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:13:23 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 10:53:01 pm »
they should work Mick. radiator hoses are manufactured  on the american scale which means imperial measurements.( moulded hoses are sized different) 1 1/4, 1 1/2,1/34, 1 7/8, that sort of thing.
The rubber is nitrile thus resistant to hydrocarbons and a heat rating of 100 c. Your local industrial hose supplier will be able to sell you a few centremetres for not much money.

silicon hose is damn expensive and there are a few different types of silicone. the Turbo hose usually coloured orange would be the one to go for but talk the the bank manager first.

Many years ago i built a buggy and used a bent rad hose as an intake manifold and it worked pretty good.

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 11:06:08 pm »
www.siliconedirect.com.au. Think they are based in Albury, I have bought some black adaptor size 50/63 mm , there is a lot too choose from. They post the parts to you, takes 3-4 days though.
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 11:44:10 pm »
thanks for the replies

Offline brucey

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 12:55:05 pm »
I work for the last Australian Manufacturer of Coolant Hoses Ie radiator and heaters etc All our coolant hoses are made of EDPM as are all hoses for coolant world wide they are not designed to carry oil or fuel please be aware of this when your engine ingests the inner liner of a hose sourced from supercheap or bursons or Coventry and you blame the supplier.

Bruce

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 09:17:16 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Brucey. Will make sure they have/are "suitable for fuels" markings on any tubes on hoses I buy. Cheers
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 10:14:15 pm »
I've had a filter-to-carby hose made from a cut-down Gates radiator hose on one of my twinshock TY250s for about 5 years now. It is still going strong. Admittedly it doesn't see much vacuum on that side of the carby but I'm impressed all the same.
At the time, no-one was making fancy moulded replica hoses so I didn't have much choice and thought it would only last 6 months
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline brucey

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 08:00:55 am »
Air filter to  Carb is Ok i.e. no air fuel mix

Carb to Head  BAD

Fuel Mixed With Oil no no no

Your local Pick a Part should have a nice selection of tapered hoses ready for your use around the fuel tank area pipe to tank joints etc Fords are handy for this

Bruce

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 02:10:41 pm »
Ive just done a carby, air filter refit replacement, so needed straight reducer and straight fuel/oil grade hoses and found MTQ engine systems to be very helpful in everyway, a real can do mob at great prices, quick  ;) order over the phone EFT payment and near on overnight you have it :o 8)