Author Topic: Expansion chamber fixing and painting.  (Read 1959 times)

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Expansion chamber fixing and painting.
« on: October 04, 2014, 09:28:10 am »
Popped out some dents on this 83 rm125 chamber and am not quite happy with the finish. There are still some ripples and you can see where I had to cut out a section because it was creased bad, while I had that section cut out I could tap out the dents on the other side. Tip for any one doing this, I should have cut the backside out instead of the dent that way the repair would be on the under side and not seen. With a light coat of paint the ripples stand out, thinking if any one thinks a light coat of 2 pac hi fill primer would stand the heat(very light coat) or if I was to braze over the area like a bronze bog and sand back into shape.

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion chamber fixing and painting.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 11:04:07 am »

l used hi temp primer to fill in the ripples of this repair and at this part of the pipe the primer/paint has lasted over a year, unfortunately at that part of my pipe the primer and paint burns off fairly quickly.

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 11:17:19 am »
Just take it out for a ride and get some mud on it and you'll never know the difference.
Do not braze a big patch as it will crack the parent metal, you could lead wipe it as was common in panel beating back when cars wear made out of steel. I'm sure if you Google lead wiping you will find a how to.

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 11:57:12 am »
Good point on the cracking with the brazing. Mud, jezz, that would mean I would have to take the blankets off them and take them out into the sun light.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 11:59:00 am by pecrazy »

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 01:58:00 pm »
just ride it ;) if ya want 10/10 concourse buy another pipe thats perfect hang it on the wall and use the one ya got to ride it :)