Author Topic: XL185--the old "chain through the cover trick"--new ignition fix handy trick.  (Read 1318 times)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
My old XL185--think it's a super farmer, bit of a bitsa, 5 speed & 200 top end. Anyway, threw a chain through the alternator cover & made the expected mess so [too tight to buy any bits] had a CT125 points cover with coils plus flywheel & as luck would have it i had a new 'Emgo brand' cdi stator coil--just one coil with say 350 ohms resistance which was for an ATC200 by memory, ATC something--that i bought years ago for $20 hoping it'd fit my yz490 but 'no' as wrong spacing. Also wrong spacing for the XL185 or XR200 set up but bugger me was right spacing for the CT cover. Had to space it up a bit with a chain link roller each end because something got in the way on end of the coil--plastic end bit at one point. Anyway soldered a wire on & one kick & hasn't looked back. Had to use the CT flywheel too because of different ID to original. might be a slight weight difference but hey--was free pretty much. Better make a sturdy chain thingy for the front just in case to protect the case.