Author Topic: 1983 Kawasaki KX 500  (Read 4131 times)

Offline FritzG

• Novice
    • View Profile
1983 Kawasaki KX 500
« on: April 30, 2014, 04:56:52 am »
Recently restored 1983 KX 500:

This was a low hour bike that I purchased for a winter project. The bike was disassembled down to the frame with everything taken apart, cleaned, inspected and reassembled with new parts as required. Since the bike shifted fine and the crankshaft was well within tolerances the cases were not split. Here is a list of what was done and new parts:

Wheels: New Dunlop Geomax 31's front and rear w/new HD tubes. New DID ERT2 chain and sprockets. New All Balls wheel bearings and dust seals. New rear brake shoes installed. Front brake pads were well within spec and reused.

Rear shock: Rebuilt, New 7.0 kg/mm spring installed. New Race Tech seal head and soft goods installed with new RT oil and fresh N2 charge. Rebound adjustment works great.

KX Forks: Rebuilt with Race Tech seals, dust wipers and upper and lower guide bushings and new oil.

YZ 490 DLS front forks: All new bushings, seals, dust wipers and Race Tech emulators installed. New brake shoes. You can swap front ends in ~30 minutes.

Frame: All swing arm, suspension linkage and steering head bearings removed, cleaned, inspected and re-greased. All bearings were in great condition. One of the bushing/bearings in the dog bone was replaced w/new. Foot rest wideners welded on and a new Moose chain guide installed. All plastic with the exception of the rear fender and front number plate are original.

New ProTaper handlebars, grips and levers. Front brake disc cylinder rebuilt w/new seals and fluid.

Engine: Top end sent to Eric Gore/Millennium for porting and re-plating. Existing std piston was in great shape and reused, new piston ring and gaskets installed. Clutch rebuilt using a pristine 84 basket that uses needle bearings instead of the bushing found on the 83 model. New clutch steel plates, friction plates and springs installed. Note: This bike was put in storage for a locked up engine. After inspection the kicker idle gear broke a tooth and it was lodged in the primary and clutch basket gears, as I mentioned above the basket is new as is the primary gear. New Air filter element and cage. New reed block to carb adapter installed, the old was weather checked and replaced. To eliminate the pinging problem these bikes are noted for I purchased and installed a 1984 KX 500 head. The original Mikuni carb was replaced with a new Lectron carb that really works sweet.

I broke this bike in and raced it at the recent Boise Inter-Am and it runs great, crisp and clean and is ready to put on the track and race. sale includes all receipts and a parts/service manual, Buyer to arrange and pay for all shipping costs. Bike is located in the Pacific Northwest area. Pictures of the bike can be seen at http://pnwvmx.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36&start=30. I tried to post a picture here but don't know if it worked??

$4000 usd
Fritz Guenther
[email protected]

100_2151.JPG
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 10:46:09 am by FritzG »

Offline FritzG

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: 1983 Kawasaki KX 500
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 08:47:51 am »
Bike now has a YZ 490 double leading shoe drum brake front end to go with it. These forks are set up with  Race Tech emulators. In app 30 minutes you can swap from a disc brake front end to a DLS drum brake front end depending on which class you want to compete in. Price is still the same. Link to build photos below, DLS front end at bottom of page.

http://pnwvmx.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36&start=30

Fritz
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:49:29 am by FritzG »

Offline FritzG

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:24:03 am »
Lots of lookers but no takers, I'll entertain any reasonable offers. I will transport this bike within 50 miles to a shipper of your choice free of charge. I will not disassemble and ship in parts to OZ, did that once, never again.

Fritz

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:47:06 pm »
Unfortunately the link is about as much use as a chocolate fireplace  ::) you have to join the site to view the pics . Why don't you post the pics on this site where you are advertising the bike  ;)
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:14:24 am »

Offline FritzG

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 12:42:05 pm »
Thanks Bishboy, bike is also listed on US Ebay.

Fritz