Author Topic: Rnd 2, SA Reliability Trial Series  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
Rnd 2, SA Reliability Trial Series
« on: June 02, 2008, 12:44:47 pm »
Round 2 of the SA Reliability Trial Championship was the 30th Mike Connors 8hr, run by the Keyneton MCC on 24th May.  The event is named in memory of Mike Connors, a Keynton club member and winner of the 1976 24hr trial on his first attempt at 18 years old, who tragically died in a motorcycle accident in 1977.

Sign on and the riders briefing was a case of trying to remember the names of people who came up to say hello.  I hadn’t ridden an event run by the Keynton club in at least 25 years and there were people every where who remembered me. I had a reputation for doing stupid/dumb things 25 to 30 years ago when I rode trials sidecars. Come too think of it, I must still have the same tendance for doing dumb things, otherwise I would not have been riding a 32 year old XT500 in this event.  One of the few people I did remember was Chris Holmes who I used to ride C grade MX against in the late 70’s. Isn’t it strange how you can always remember someone who has run over you when you have fallen off, not once, but from memory 4 times at the one MX meeting, at Clare in 1978 (or 79, it was a long time ago).

Anyway, the event was run over 2 laps of a 153km course broken down into 18 section.  Of the 18 sections, 9 were competitive section (timed to the second) ranging from 3 to 7km in length.  The terrain ranged from some hilly open paddocks with the odd rocky out crop to negotiate, too tight twisty tracks thru mallee scrub (lot of sand, bull dust and loose rocks), a modified lap of the Sedan off-road buggy track (more bull dust) and dried creek beds (deep “whooped” out sand and more rocks).

There were 130 riders entered in the championship classes (16 expert solo, 6 expert sidecars, 12 clubmen sidecars and 96 clubmen solos) plus 22 riders in the rally class. The rally class is basically a trail ride over one lap of the course following the sweep rides and is used as an introduction for those who want to find out what the sport is like and for those ex-racers who don’t need to “prove” anything and just want to have a good ride.

I drew number 123 which sucked, as it meant that I would ride a fair bit of the final lap in the dark. The first rider away (No. 1) at 10:30am was Shane Kraft riding a 1977 TT500D, as a tribute to Mike Connors.  Hanging around for my start time was one of the longest 2 hr I think I have ever spent, and another reason for a low start number being good.

My ride nearly came to a sudden stop on the 2nd transport section about 10km into the event. Having just complete the first competitive section, I was cruising along at 80kph on a bitumen road “recovering”, when I missed the 30kph warning sign for a very tight LH corner.  Realising that I was going way to fast for the turn, I jumped on the brake (wishing they were discs) and started kicking the bike back thru the gears as I continued straight on.  More thru good luck than from any abundance of riding skill, I managed to come to a halt, upright and pointed in the right direction in the drainage ditch the ran beside the road about a metre or two short of some large gum trees and a barbed wire fence. When I come to the same turn on the 2nd lap there were more than one set of skid marks running off into the ditch, so I wasn’t the only one to miss the sign.

The rest of the first lap went fairly well.  As usual I struggled in the competitive section, as the XT just doesn’t handle too well in deep bull dust, whooped out sand and loose rocks.  I had learnt from the first round, and I slowed down and took it easy in these sections, resulting in only one silly fall when I lost the front end in the bull dust. Many of the check points became social events as I found more people from the passed who were more sensible than me and were manning the check points, not trying to ride in the event.

The second lap started well, it was dark by time I got to the 2nd comp section and I slowed down accordingly and had only a few stalls and front-end loses in the ever deepening bull dust.  Some of the comp sections were cutting up really badly, in one of the later section while crossing a recently ploughed paddock to get from one creek to another, I could feel something trying to push my feed off of the pegs. I took a quick look down and it was the “bow wave” of bull dust being pushed out by my own front wheel. 

My night came to a low point during comp section No. 7.  The breeze that had kept the dust at bay for most of the day had dropped off and it had become very dusty. Section 7, had been my least favourite section on the first lap, being a fairly fast section thru sparse mallee scrub that was cutting up into deep bull dust with a lot of loose stones in it.  As I was riding slowly I waved the guy who started immediately behind me thru, which just compounded my visibility problems, and I was having trouble just finding the course. I had been over shooting a lot of turns even though I was only doing probably 20 to 30kph, but then the dust cleared and I could see that the course straightened out a bit. I foolishly opened it up a bit to maybe 40kph, then promptly lost the front end and went down, making a three point landing on my left shoulder, thigh, and the left side of my head. As I lay in the dust for what seemed like eternity (but was probably only a few minute), trying to get my foot from under the bike, I curse god numerous time for the bull dust and the F***ING ROCKS. I eventually got myself and the bike upright and slowly rode to the end of the section.

Riding the next transport section to the fuel stop all I could think of was pulling out after I had refuelled and riding back to the main control, however, the brother of Mike Connors had come up to me before the start and was so please to that I was riding a 1976 500 Yamaha, which was the same as what Mike had raced.  It was one of those cases where I didn’t want to let Mike’s brother down by not finishing, but I was frustrated with having fallen off and in a degree of pain.  While refuelling, some of my local club members who were waiting for me to come in so they could take my jerry can back to the start convinced me to carry on.

For the last ½ of the lap, 71km, including 5 competitive stages, I hardly ever got up onto the pugs and just stayed seated riding thru the comp sections in 1st and 2nd gears.  I rode into control 17, the start of the final comp section, just as Chris Holmes, the last rider (No. 131), started the section and the sweep riders pulled in right behind me. As I rode the section a smile came back to my face as I realised that there was only an 18km transport stage back to the finish.

When I rode into the finish, I was met by Mike’s brother and from the reception I got you would have thought that I had one the event. There were people taking picture, and coming up to congratulate me. Even after I had parked the bike and change out of my riding kit, people came up to congratulate me, generally starting with “you’re the guy who was riding ‘THAT BIKE”.

In the light of day the next morning, the bike pulled up better than me, with just a broken rear blinker lens, two broken welds on the rear carrier and a crushed/flattened exhaust pipe (again). Where as I could hardly walk and still had a headache. I will also have to buy a new helmet as the fall in comp section 7, took a few descent chips out of the shell and it will no longer pass inspection. Bit of a bugger that, as it was only a month old, but it did its job.

Anyway, final results.  I ended up 100th overall (out of 104 finishers), and 3rd in Class M for bike over 20years old.  Shane Kraft won class M, and was 36th overall, which is not bad for someone riding a 1977 TT500D. As I am the only rider to have finished in the 2 rounds so far I am still leading the Class M title.

Round 3 is the Robertstown 2 day next weekend (June 7 and 8).  I will be giving this round a miss to allow the body to recover so I will be fit for the 24hr in July.

CJ
P.S.  Have I mentioned that I hate bulldust and F***ING ROCKS!
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Rnd 2, SA Reliability Trial Series
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 01:44:15 pm »
Great write up col, always like to read your stories. 

must take you a lot of time to do it, but i think most of us here, really enjoy the effort em and the time you take to do it justice.  Thank you for making the effort to get the details into em no matter how long they are, there a good read.

keep up the good work !   cheers Freaky
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:23:36 pm »
Great report/good read ,thanks.l
I reckn you could start a writing career in race reports. ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 10:37:58 am by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 09:01:04 pm »
Good luck on Saturday/Sunday in the 24hr. You will do us pround if you can finish on your old XT. i cant say i will see you but i will probably go out on the first lap and watch the sidecars. I suspect it will be a cold night and not the best for spectating!!. Just remember to pace your self, dont crash and carry plenty of spares ;D http://www.24hrtrial.org/2008
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:07:46 pm »
Good stuff, Col.
I don't get out to the 24 as much as I'd like to. It's always my son's birthday that weekend..........
Plus it's cold........... and wet.............. you guys who ride it are nuts!!!!!!!!  :D :D

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:40:51 pm »
you guys who ride it have huge nuts................ ;)Cheers and  take care not to freeze em off too, Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:06:59 pm »
Thanks Guys,

For those not from SA, when a South Aussie dirt rider say’s “24”, he is not referring to some America TV series with Keiffer Sutherland. No, he is referring to one of the iconic motorcycle events in SA, the 24 Hour Reliability Trial.

Although not an event for classic motorcycles, it is a classic motorcycle event, with the first 24 Hour Trial being run in 1924. This year’s event, which is now sponsored by Yamaha, will be the 76th running of the event (by my calculation, as the event was not run for 6 years due to WWII and not run in 1957 and 1958 due to low entries).

In a momentary lapse of reason, and having wanted to have a go for the last 30 years, I entered for this year on my 1976 XT500C and as rider 114, will be away at 12:54pm on Saturday and scheduled to finish at 12:54pm Sunday.

Unlike most woozy 24 hour car and motorcycle road race events, this event is a “one rider – one machine” event, and like all SA reliability trials you have to carry everything you want/need either on the bike or on your person. This included clothing, so with an expected temperature range of about 4 to 12 Degree C, and a high probability of rain, just deciding what too wear becomes a nightmare. The only thing that you are allowed to “take-on” during the event is fuel at authorised fuel stops. Also, any outside assistance whether solicited or not, by any other person during the event results in exclusion from the event.

So, if anyone from SA is going to have a look, or working the control, keep you eye out for me, the idiot on the XT dressed like the Michelin man!

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 01:39:42 pm »
And the Croweating South Australian loonies do it on solos and sidecars too. 24 hours virtually none stop, Food, fuel and um very difficult personal pit stops with freezing exhausted bodies and seven tonnes of clothing to undo under duress, cause as said you carry all your needs. Do any other  motorcycle events (ISDT ,World rallies etc ) impose such a horrendous task?? :o
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 06:56:17 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:55:39 pm »
It's not just Croweaters, the entry list show a couple of riders from intersate and even a Kiwi are coming to torture themselves. As for myself, I was born and breed in NSW (Broken Hill, but that means I have always been a bit partial to crow).

The only other events that I can think of that come close are the Oz Safari / Dakar type rallies, but they are allowed support crews.

CJ

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 06:28:45 pm »
well not quite non stop. at the end of lap 1 there is a 40-45min sit down dinner/tea at the end of lap 2 there is a 20min break and at the end of lap 4 is a 40-45min sit down breakfast and then at the end of lap 4 its the end! all these stops are compulsory and yopu cant skip them to make up time. 90mins late to any control/check point and your timed out. i hear from a source that this year every section is timed to the second which will be interesting.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 11:45:19 pm »
hi Slob
congrats on finishing round 2 old china but your sposed to keep on that old 500 thumper

TT5 Matt
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 12:34:43 pm by TT5 Matt »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 07:34:10 pm »
well i saw Colins bike at the start so he made it that far which is further than 3 outfits which had a DNS to their name.

Tony T

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 07:46:56 pm »
I just got home from work. Shit it's cold out there............  :D
Serves 'em right for being out riding while I'm working...............  ;)