Author Topic: TT500 any good ?  (Read 3035 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
TT500 any good ?
« on: June 29, 2014, 10:04:07 pm »
G'day viewers I've just bought myself a 1977 TT500 so what do I need to know ?
Who is the best for parts here in Oz ? It's funny as I missed CD10 but the money put aside has come up with a cool bike so it's all good now to not touch it until other projects are finished. Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: TT500 any good ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 08:20:55 am »
all you need to know about the tt500..its big, heavy and you should have bought a husky ;D ;D :D :D

A mate has a heap of them, in superb condition, I think he has 1 of tt and xt for every model, its an impressive display.

the best part is the neat exhaust which usually rusted out real quick or got turfed for a megaphone....iconic as an sl 125 pipe I rekon

enjoy the journey ;)

Offline curly001

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:44:18 am »
Jimson

My I be the first to welcome you to the Tractor Club.
My first warning be careful they seem to breed and before you know it you have a shed full.
As for parts I get most of mine from the states. Speed & Sport is just one supplier.

Curly

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:46:35 am »
We have  TT/XT guru up here. PM me if you'd like his contact details.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:07:01 am »
Thanks for the replies. I've always liked this model but thought it would be out of my price range to have one. Then this one came along so far I think I need a pipe & rear guard as it's all in tubs & a rolling frame. I'm sure I'll need lots more. Jimson

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 11:55:40 am »
Les at VMX unlimited has all the xt/tt stuff ;D
Couple of CR`s

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 10:39:07 pm »
Thanks God & Snowy every time I go in the shed to work on Hannibal I see the TT crying out for some TLC. Jimson

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 05:44:40 am »
As per Curly, BEWARE they breed at a rapid rate (I now have 13 assorted 500 in the shed)and ownership is a well known affliction which can be managed with a 12 Step Program.

The '77 TT sits a close second to the 1976 XT / TT as far as icon status goes.  Most parts for the engine are still readily available through Yamaha has a lot are shared with the SR500/400 which has basically remained in production for the last 30 odd years. Having your Yamaha dealer check the "dead stock list"will often pay dividend with parts that Yamaha list as NLA, I have gotten a lot of part through Motorcycle Land in Ballarat that I found this way.

Les at Kedo Australia (VMX Unlimited) is a great source of quality aftermarket bit and have got a lot of my money in resent times.  Speed and Sport in the US have also provided many model specific NOS bits that are now obsolete.

Enjoy the ride and keep us updated on progress

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!