Author Topic: Basic pipe mods to shift power?  (Read 5571 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Basic pipe mods to shift power?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 08:40:31 pm »

Another story about timing. Did some porting and head work on a late model 80cc mx and the owner assembled it and raced off to his favorite dyno man. Came back the next day with all this expert advice on why the bike had no power. Things like CR to high, port timing all wrong etc. I asked did the dyno man play with the ign timing. Big no was the answer. Cutting the story short, back to the dyno played timing and hay presto the most power from an 80 he has seen. That did surprise me if he doesn't play ignition as part of a tune.

After Lozza's claims.
Jenning and Bell being so wrong!!! I think I'll have to go and commit suicide.
Must be like when you found out the truth about the tooth fairy,the easter bunny and santa claus :D
No claims just simple facts that speak for themselves,Jan Thiel has been head of 4 or  5 factory racing departments which won 25 world titles, in the 1960's challenged the Japanese factories with an engine he designed and built himself(including the casting and machining), went on to build the highest output per litre two stroke engine ever built (Aprilia RSA125 with 53hp at the sprocket). Jennings ,Bell and Blair never designed or tuned a world title winning engine.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 09:29:20 pm »

Another story about timing. Did some porting and head work on a late model 80cc mx and the owner assembled it and raced off to his favorite dyno man. Came back the next day with all this expert advice on why the bike had no power. Things like CR to high, port timing all wrong etc. I asked did the dyno man play with the ign timing. Big no was the answer. Cutting the story short, back to the dyno played timing and hay presto the most power from an 80 he has seen. That did surprise me if he doesn't play ignition as part of a tune.

After Lozza's claims.
Jenning and Bell being so wrong!!! I think I'll have to go and commit suicide.
Must be like when you found out the truth about the tooth fairy,the easter bunny and santa claus :D
No claims just simple facts that speak for themselves,Jan Thiel has been head of 4 or  5 factory racing departments which won 25 world titles, in the 1960's challenged the Japanese factories with an engine he designed and built himself(including the casting and machining), went on to build the highest output per litre two stroke engine ever built (Aprilia RSA125 with 53hp at the sprocket). Jennings ,Bell and Blair never designed or tuned a world title winning engine.

25 World titles. Can't compete against that I've only built pipes using Jennings formulars for multiple VMX Oz title winners.
Still not going to use Thiel formulars though. I am sick of building pipes, no money in it with all the cheap imports.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 11:30:45 am »
there is a dutch guy in Bendigo who is a mr mechanic and talking to him it turns out he did pipes for the Suzuki road race team in the 70's... should see him do a muffler repack! amazing....

I got him to gut a dx 200 pipe for me years ago, beautiful job

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 01:13:53 pm »
Walter Kaaden at MZ (who did a lot to bring about the modern 2T engine and exhaust) reportedly said something to the effect that you'll know you are getting the exhaust near right when it can't be mounted on the bike without requiring some major component (or the rider) to be relocated so you can keep it from dragging on the ground.

:)

cheers,
Michael