Author Topic: Kx400 owners help! Need some suggestions!  (Read 1628 times)

Offline mosderek

• Novice
    • View Profile
Kx400 owners help! Need some suggestions!
« on: April 12, 2014, 03:02:52 pm »
So I just acquired a kx400(finally!!!!!!) anyway anyone know of any quick or "must have" mods for these bikes? I have works shocks in rear. Probably going to get some race thech or works springs too. I found one after market pipe builder but he's asking around 500 for his pipes. Any other sources I could use? Wouldn't mind buying used. Thanks
99 problems but a clutch ain't one. -Vespa

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Kx400 owners help! Need some suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 04:00:36 pm »
 Some gold valves in the forks will make for a better ride , what's wrong with the original pipe ?
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 04:06:15 pm »
I have a cylinder & head with fresh .020 bore & NOS piston kit if you need spares.
K

Offline euro bikes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 05:38:35 pm »
Suspension is the main problem with them ,I have one ,forks flex and back shocks need laying forward like the other bikes of that era to make them work but then the pipe is squashed by more travel so then you need a up pipe. Mine is for sale if you want another one to play with. 

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:23:17 pm »
Its not hard to find 77 YZ forks on ebay which were class leaders back then. Find a swing arm that fits but either way you will need some frame mods.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline euro bikes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 03:06:52 pm »
I have XT500 forks on mine but you have to modify the triples plus they are not offset forks standard, the top clamp has a lip on it so you can't slide the fork through. I always thought the motor in another frame that handled would be the way to go.