Author Topic: Mikuni 36mm with side entry main jet  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
Mikuni 36mm with side entry main jet
« on: April 08, 2014, 08:02:18 pm »
Have just finished rebuilding my 1977 KTM, replaced the Bing with a Mikuni, runs really well,  but, cannot drain the fuel from the carburettor because there is hardly daylight between the bottom of the carby and the top of the crankcase and I have already ground away half the  thickness of the crankcase casting and have machined the bottom of the carburettor bung, so draining the fuel is a pain, have to  loosen everything off and tilt the carby  sideways.

A few years ago I had an early 70s 250 CZ yellow tanker and it had a 36 mm Mikuni with a side entry main jet  (and maybe a fleeing should connection at the front), the 17 mm  bung on the bottom was on the left hand side and the  main jet was pointing out the left hand side as well.

I'm looking for one of those 36 mm Mikuni carbys with the side entry main jet, anything read buildable will do, anyone got one?

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Mikuni 36mm with side entry main jet
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:12:48 pm »
Hatricks in Townsville FN Queensland the Mikuni distributors may be a handy start.  Ah ha  now they call themselves Mikunioz, heres the link            http://www.mikunioz.com/mikunioz.htm
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:28:30 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 02:35:22 am »
thanks for that info Tim, I had rang them some time ago asking the question and they told me they did not have anything like what I wanted, it was mentioned that perhaps what I had seen on my old CZ was from an early Yamaha DT1, anyway I had a look at the parts info on the hattrick website that you referred me to and I see that the VM 34 mm Carby is 1.5 cm "shorter", and then I recalled that I had read somewhere that a 34 mil Mikuni can be bored out to 36 mil and that otherwise the jets and slide et cetera are the same/interchangeable, so that extra 1.5 cm clearance might do the trick.
thanks for the info, you kickstarted what might be a solution

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 02:11:41 pm »
SUDCO international
3014 tanager Ave
commerco, California

Offline rough rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 06:53:51 pm »
I think this is what your looking for , this is on a 1971 cz 250 yellow tanker . let me know if you find one I have been looking also this one has a stripped slide cap

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 09:21:37 pm »
From memory but reasonably sure TM 34 can be bored to 35.4mm

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 09:35:43 pm »
I have a 34mm one, as soon as i saw the pic with the flange mount it jogged my memory. mine seems to be missing slide, can check further if you are interested.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...