Author Topic: 1983 KX 500  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Adam

• Novice
    • View Profile
1983 KX 500
« on: March 23, 2014, 01:34:40 pm »
Bought this as a restoration project almost 2 years ago as I love the look of the 82/83 KX's but I probably won't ever get around to finishing it with the other bikes that I still have to do. I've only ridden it a couple of times and wasn't overly excited by its performance but was hoping to rectify that. The bike is a reasonably honest example of the 500 A1.

I haven't done a heap to it other than fitting a new Barnett clutch and springs, a new Uni filter, some gaskets, a Nightmare Racing plastics kit and a very nice GMC pipe and muffler.  I still have the original pipe and muffler but the original pipe is pretty rough. I haven't tried to sort the jetting out since fitting the GMC pipe and it does need sorting.

Suspension is pretty soft (I'm 85 kgs) and would have to be re-done and was on my list of things to do.  Front rim has obviously been replaced at some stage with an aftermarket rim. Tyres appear to be almost brand new. I have about $300 worth of NOS Kawasaki bolts, nuts etc that I ordered from CMS that still need to be fitted, plus a complete decal set from Reproduction Decals, assorted oil seals, top end gasket kit and an owners manual.

The previous owner said the squish mod had been done but I haven't pulled the head off it yet.  Chasing 4K for the lot which is a fair bit less than what it owes me.  :(  I would have probably tipped another 2K into it if I kept it, getting the suspension and wheels done. PM me for more details or photos if interested.  Bike is located in Murrumbeena in Melbourne.  If no interest, I'll throw it on eBay in a couple of weeks time.  Cheers

Adam